PDA

View Full Version : Hatteras System Monitor--Help

JLR
04-17-2005, 04:30 PM
I just took my boat out for a shakedown and all went well with one minor exception. I have an odd sound coming out of the speaker on my Hatteras System monitor speaker. It is not the full out siren that comes out when an alarm goes off and it can be silenced when I hit the silence button. All system lights come on when I do a test as does the siren. The sound I hear is almost like feedback or bleed through the speaker. I do not believe it is any sort of alarm but it is silenced when I hit the silence button. Needless to say, it did not happen when I layed up in the Falll. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. All other functions are normal on mechanicals and electricals. Any help or ideas?

JLR
04-22-2005, 07:14 AM
bmp-please help

Nonchalant1
04-22-2005, 10:41 AM
My only thoughts:

1. Disconnect your batteries for 5 min. then reconnect. The system monitor is not switched, so it's "ON" whenever your batteries are connected. Many electronics gadgets do a "startup" when they're first powered up (kind of like a re-boot) so if it can fix itself, maybe that will do it.

2. Call Sam's Marine. Maybe they have ideas or a contact for Crozier.

3. Call Crozier - Maybe they have a tech support where a guy can tell you "Oh yeah, that's a potentiometer that's oxidized, just rotate it back and forth 10 times". Or maybe they have a service where you just take the board out and send it to them and they send it back fixed.

Doug

SKYCHENEY
04-22-2005, 11:09 AM
The only ideas I have is to pull the cover off of the main board and then you will see a row of fuses. Pull the fuses one at a time and see if the alarm stops. This will isolate the problem - each fuse is labeled as to it's function and you should also have a wiring diagram in your original Hatteras documentation. If the problem is in the main board, which I think it probably is, then you will need to send it in for repair. I just did this with mine. It may also be a sensor or wire with a bad connection. These are normally closed circuits and if a wire breaks, then you get an alarm. Maybe you have a corroded connection somewhere and the alarm is starting to sound since the circuit is not flowing with full power(just another idea) :rolleyes: .

The place to send the board is Flight Systems in Lewisbury, PA. It cost me about $150 and they replaced all bad diodes, fixed broken solder, and sealed the whole board. It works great now. Let me know if you end up needing their contact info and I will look it up.

JLR, this is the 12pt monitor that I am speaking of. I believe it is the same system as your 56MY. I think the Crozier that Doug is speaking of is an older system than you and I have. My 53 is a 1985, FYI.

JLR
04-23-2005, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping I would not have to pull the whole board from the engine room.

Henderson
04-02-2010, 01:51 PM
JLR give me a call and I'll stear you thru removing the board if you have to take it out. Give me a call first before you get started.

Question before anything, has anyone been crawling around the engine and somehow bent over a sensor ear and its now shorted out to the chasis of the engine block? Does your alarm sound when the keys are off?

SKYCHENEY
04-02-2010, 02:43 PM
JLR give me a call and I'll stear you thru removing the board if you have to take it out. Give me a call first before you get started.

Question before anything, has anyone been crawling around the engine and somehow bent over a sensor ear and its now shorted out to the chasis of the engine block? Does your alarm sound when the keys are off?

His posts about this were from 2005. I would assume he has fixed it by now.

What do you charge to rebuild one of those boards? Flight Systems rebuilt mine a few years ago for less than $200.

Henderson
04-06-2010, 12:55 PM
It really depends on the situation. To repair is cheeper than rebuild. I find it hard to believe your Hatteras 12 point Systems Monitor Board was completely rebuilt for 200 bucks. Parts alone cost way more than that.

Those guys you are suggesting to everyone at Flight Systems probably didn't have a clue that you have to change the resistor values when you change the chips from the old AMF chips to something Current. Hatteras used to be owned by AMF. AMF used to have their hand in alot of things, VOIT swim masks, Bowling Balls, Harley Davidson, etc. Even IC CHIPS! They don't make those chips any more and there is no direct crossover with those original specifications. When you change to the new chips you have to change the values of other components as well. So the board you had looked at, may not be all cracked up to be what you had hoped for in the long run. I guess there might be alot of places that would attempt in repairing those boards. I wouldnt suggest people having a Volkswagon mechanic work on your Rolls Royce....... or have someone be learning as they go, on your nickel.

I rebuild these Boards on a daily basis. I worked for Hatteras for years. I am very familiar with the application. I find that even without using these boat alot, the Chips start to go bad after about 12 years on average. Usually when one goes bad, it is just a matter of time before they all start going, since they all basically do the same thing. It is just kind of a maintainance thing. When you get your board back from me you should'nt have any problems for another 12 years of normal use. I try and make these rebuilt boards better than the original. Which is pretty hard because these boards were really well designed and thought out

I see alot of times people get an alarm and they silence it and forget about sometimes so long that the lamp burns out in the remote panel. Half the circuit is energized as long as you see that red light, when you silence it, then you energize the other half as well. The sooner you can remedy the fault the longer those chips are going to last. It appears to me that these boards are more of a sensitivity type designed circuits not really a long term current carrying one. There is alot you can do to help preserve or prolong the life for example, using the AC bypass when your hanging in the slings unable to use the Generator or Shore power.

It wouldn't be appropriate to quote prices here on a forum. Call me

Tim Powell
04-06-2010, 08:47 PM
It really depends on the situation. To repair is cheeper than rebuild. I find it hard to believe your Hatteras 12 point Systems Monitor Board was completely rebuilt for 200 bucks. Parts alone cost way more than that.

Those guys you are suggesting to everyone at Flight Systems probably didn't have a clue that you have to change the resistor values when you change the chips from the old AMF chips to something Current. Hatteras used to be owned by AMF. AMF used to have their hand in alot of things, VOIT swim masks, Bowling Balls, Harley Davidson, etc. Even IC CHIPS! They don't make those chips any more and there is no direct crossover with those original specifications. When you change to the new chips you have to change the values of other components as well. So the board you had looked at, may not be all cracked up to be what you had hoped for in the long run. I guess there might be alot of places that would attempt in repairing those boards. I wouldnt suggest people having a Volkswagon mechanic work on your Rolls Royce....... or have someone be learning as they go, on your nickel.

I rebuild these Boards on a daily basis. I worked for Hatteras for years. I am very familiar with the application. I find that even without using these boat alot, the Chips start to go bad after about 12 years on average. Usually when one goes bad, it is just a matter of time before they all start going, since they all basically do the same thing. It is just kind of a maintainance thing. When you get your board back from me you should'nt have any problems for another 12 years of normal use. I try and make these rebuilt boards better than the original. Which is pretty hard because these boards were really well designed and thought out

I see alot of times people get an alarm and they silence it and forget about sometimes so long that the lamp burns out in the remote panel. Half the circuit is energized as long as you see that red light, when you silence it, then you energize the other half as well. The sooner you can remedy the fault the longer those chips are going to last. It appears to me that these boards are more of a sensitivity type designed circuits not really a long term current carrying one. There is alot you can do to help preserve or prolong the life for example, using the AC bypass when your hanging in the slings unable to use the Generator or Shore power.

WHERE ELSE CAN YOU GO AND THIS KIND OF INFO ////THAT IS WHAT THIS SIGHT IS ALL ABOUT IN MY OPENION //// TIM

krush
04-06-2010, 09:06 PM
I got a question. Why are there so many chips and stuff on what appears to me to be a simple alarm/light panel?

SKYCHENEY
04-07-2010, 09:58 AM

Henderson,
I am not doubting your ability to repair these. I was just commenting on the age of the posts that you are responding to. In 2004, when I had my board repaired, I sent it to Flight Systems as they were recommended by others on this forum. In talking to FS, I found that they had repaired many of these boards and that they had made up a special unit especially for testing them.

As you know, many people who work on boats are not reasonable in their pricing and that is why I asked about yours. In my experience with FS, they were more than fair. The work was completed in a timely manner, at a decent price, and it has held up over time.

Sorry, but I just get a little skeptical when I see someone new on this forum trying to solicit business. If Sams gives their endorsement(and they must have since you are allowed to keep posting), then I would not hesitate in using your services. In fact, I now see that others on this forum have expressed their satisfaction with your work.

Maybe you could give a range(high/low) of what most boards cost when you complete them. Obviously, each one needs a different amount of work, but I would think you could give us some idea.

Henderson
04-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Why?
Well the Board was made to be reliable, since it is designed to be a safety device. It uses a normally closed circuitry. If the circuit is broken, then the Board goes into the alarm state. This design is great because if the circuit wiring is defective or broken, then you immeadiately know you have a problem somewhere. Where as if you had another design with a normally open circuit, if the circuit wiring was compromised and the sensor tripped, you would never know you had a problem.