PDA

View Full Version : Antennas

dmohring
09-20-2004, 11:38 PM
My fiberglass antennas are beginning to show the effects of being in the weather and sun. They are starting to have the fibers sticking out. Has anyone found a cure to extend their life like waxing them? They are expensive to replace.

Genesis
09-21-2004, 12:03 AM
... sand and paint the masts, but for the time and trouble I bet its cheaper and easier to replace them.

rtrafford
09-21-2004, 12:14 AM
had my last set sanded and gelcoated. worked quite well.

Bob Bradley
09-21-2004, 12:46 PM
I have to lay my antennae down to get under a bridge outside my yacht club. There's nothing like accidentally rubbing your bare back along one of those fuzzy beggars. My lower sections are OK, it's just the whips that have deteriorated. How expensive are the replacement whips?

Genesis
09-21-2004, 02:10 PM
And if you DO replace them, go with Digital Antenna for the brand. They, without question, make the best marine antennas out there in terms of construction and durability.

eze2bme
09-21-2004, 05:22 PM
I just spoke with the folks at Shakespeare and they suggest using either clear polyurethane or lead free/metalic free white paint on the antenna to refurbish them. They said to apply one thin coat and let it dry over night, then sand it lightly with fine sand paper to remove the "hairs", then repeat for several more coats and finish with a clear polyurethane for UV protection.

jim rosenthal
09-22-2004, 02:04 AM
Karl is right....Digital's stuff is WAY better than Shakespeare. Shakespeare's Galaxy items are okay, but everything Digital makes is first-class. They are not cheap, but boy are they well-made. Unfortunately I have several relatively new S/peares that I haven't had enough use out of yet to take off the boat.