PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Paint

El Guapo
11-30-2009, 02:18 PM
I have a 1989 38' Sportfisher Convertible. I will be having the bottom painted in Ensenada Mexico next month. This is a first for me since I've owned the boat. Can someone provide me with information about this process.
How many coats of paint and primer
Type or brand of paint and how many gallons will it take
I want to purchase the paint in the US and take it with me.
Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Rene

Jaxfishgyd
11-30-2009, 02:23 PM
I put on 3 coats of Micron CSC in 2004 and only now is it needing to be repainted...BUT, CSC is for "slow boats" as it's a soft paint...
Just make sure the bottom is clean and dry... The more coats the better but 2 should be your minimium....
You can do a "search" on bottom paints and find a lot of older write ups on what you want to know

Bill Allen
11-30-2009, 03:24 PM
I use the micron on both boats. My topaz is a 24 kt cruise and I've gotten 4 years with only a touch up where the blue (base coat) shows through the black bottom. I didn't take the boat out of the water last winter and it's pretty much had it needs to be totally repainted. The hatt gets a touch up every spring. I like it despite it's cost. I supose the only thing to keep in mind is I'm in New Jersey so warmer water may act diferently. Bill

TopHattandTails
11-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Once out of the water, take a cloth and rub the paint lightly. If it comes off onto the rag, you likely have an ablative paint (Micron Extra or VC-17 type). You can probably use any ablative on top of a prior ablative, just not an ablative on top of a hard paint. Check with your paint shop. I ran across a paint calculator on the web- google " how much bottom paint do I need". It was something like length x beam x 0.75 for a single coat (square feet, the products website will give you coverage per gallon). If your starting fresh put 2 coats of 1 color, then 2 coats of a darker color. That way you can easily see when it's time for another paint job. I used 4 coats last spring and will do a "boat show special" (first Chine and up) each spring until my under coat shows. Works on slow boats and 36knot cruise boats. I like Micron Extra but VC-17 is real similar. A good price on the Extra is anything under $200 a gallon ($180 is the lowest Ive seen).

SKYCHENEY
11-30-2009, 04:56 PM
VC17 is not ablative. It is very thin and hard and only works in fresh water. It's great stuff if you can use it as it never builds up, but it won't do the job in salt water.

TopHattandTails
11-30-2009, 08:52 PM
ahh the salty's - lest I forget that boats are also used in the salt water... Unless I have some bad info (and not using VC-17, but many dock mates are), they indicate that VC-17 does "shed" like Micron Extra. Anyway, been real happy with the Micron Extra - in fresh water.

francesca
12-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Go to Baja Naval. You get better price on labor and better paint (already prohibited in US because of environment).

Brian Degulis
12-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Once out of the water, take a cloth and rub the paint lightly. If it comes off onto the rag, you likely have an ablative paint (Micron Extra or VC-17 type). You can probably use any ablative on top of a prior ablative, just not an ablative on top of a hard paint. Check with your paint shop. I ran across a paint calculator on the web- google " how much bottom paint do I need". It was something like length x beam x 0.75 for a single coat (square feet, the products website will give you coverage per gallon). If your starting fresh put 2 coats of 1 color, then 2 coats of a darker color. That way you can easily see when it's time for another paint job. I used 4 coats last spring and will do a "boat show special" (first Chine and up) each spring until my under coat shows. Works on slow boats and 36knot cruise boats. I like Micron Extra but VC-17 is real similar. A good price on the Extra is anything under $200 a gallon ($180 is the lowest Ive seen).

You can put ablative over a hard paint but not a hard paint over an ablative.

Brian

Boatsb
12-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Has anyone tried the paints from seahawk yet? They are after me and the people I work with to try their paints. I am looking at their top of the line ablative but the jury is still out.

captbuddy
12-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Scott,
I put it on my 42 LRC around the forst of Sept. 09. Haven't run the boat much at all but it looks good at the dock. Had a friend look at it under water about a month or so after and he said it just had a small amount of slim. No barnacles. But I think it is to soon to tell much.
captbuddy

Boatsb
12-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Which paint did you use?

i am considering Biocop TF.

LUV'N LIFE
12-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Scott, had Seahawk abative applied in 2005,4coats on the bottom and 6 at the water line. 3 years at Tierra Verde Florida in salt and almost 2 in fresh and the lighter under coat is starting to show. Fellow that cleaned the bottom over on the the Gulf commented on how clean the bottom stayed.

captbuddy
12-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Scott,
I used Biocop TF. Purchased it through bottompaintstore.com for $229 a gallon. I purchased it on Aug. 12, 2009. Four gallons only allowed me to put on 2 coats.
captbuddy

luckydave215
12-02-2009, 02:51 PM
The preferred paint in the west coast/San Diego region is Trinidad SR.
I apply 2 full coats, with 3 on the water line and leading edges. This lasts three years.
It's a modified epoxy (hard paint).
You may be able to have your boat painted with tributly tin paint at Baja Naval, but you can't bring her back over the border with that paint her bottom, and yes, the EPA has a spy looking at Baja Naval. More than one guy who thought he was going to outsmart the feds ended up outsmarting himself instead.

Boatsb
12-02-2009, 08:53 PM
I am considering Biocop TF instead of Micron 66. Price is better for the Biocop tf and the idea on the ablative is to get a self polishing paint to wear off over 4 years time (4 coats). I may be getting the paint for under $200/gal and am willing to try it.

captbuddy
12-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Scott,
How are you getting it so cheap? Would have loved to put more coats on but really didn't have the time.
captbuddy