PDA

View Full Version : Heart inverter

Dick
09-13-2004, 01:32 PM
I have a 2,500W Heart Inverter/charger, perhaps 8 years old now. While out last week, it failed to charge. It flashed an "E03" error code (which indicates overheating), and then cycled on and off. Finally got the batteries back up after 24 hours on shore power.

I'm calling Zantrax this morning but thought I'd query to see if anyone had experienced the same problem.

Dick

Nick
09-13-2004, 06:39 PM
I had a similar problem last season with a 10 year old smaller zantrax (1500W). I have reprogrammed the remote panel to allow me to manually turn on and off the charger function using the switch on the remote panel. I also do not turn it on, if the primary battery charger is on (A Sentry unit).
It seems to work fine in charger function now and I have not cooked the batteries since last season. Also no more overheats. On charge the voltage starts at about 14 or so volts at high amperage. I monitor the volt meter in the Hat main electrical panel and the amperage on the remote panel.

Could you have a high draw on the batteries that you are not aware of?

The controls are not as simply as I would like and I am not using the inverter function anymore.

spartonboat1
09-14-2004, 12:49 AM
You don't mention if you have the Heart Link 2000 panel, which increases the ease of using the Inverter and Charger.

Also, you might try calling BR Wholesale and Marine in Marshall, MI. They are a Heart repair center and have help me in the past.

Heart 2000 unit owner...

Dick
09-22-2004, 04:02 PM
It turned out to be a broken fan. Apparently the unit builds up enough internal heat (especially at a high rate of charge) that it just won't work without the fan (even in a cool engine room).

I've been really satisfied w/this unit and run everything on the boat with it (other than the stove and heaters). The other beauty is that while underway, the engine alternators keep up with the discharge, so you don't need the gen at all.:rolleyes

Dick

FreestyleBruce
09-22-2004, 05:51 PM
I have a separate battery bank for my inverter. How would I go about using the engine's alternator to charge my inverter bank underway?

67Hatt
09-22-2004, 11:21 PM
You want to add a pathmaker the are great they will share the charge up to 3 battery banks I think the new model is a 250 amp. It will take both motors and charge your inverter bank if that is the lower bank out of the 3. Once all 3 banks are equal voltage it will share across all banks. Had a 1500 watt inverter with pathmaker 4 years now LOVE the system. Also invest in the remote switch for its another handy Item will link all 3 banks together for 5 mins so you can start anything you need too.
Dan

spartonboat1
09-22-2004, 11:26 PM
can be charged if you have an "echo" charger built into your inverter/charger. An echo charge can be set up to charge a separate set of one or more batteries.

See you owners manual if you have a Heart unit. You can also call their tech line.

Heart / Trace / Xantrax all the same parent company now, I believe.

Heart 2000 owner.

Dick
09-23-2004, 01:17 PM
I just have two banks. Two 8-Ds for engine start connected to one alt and the inverter/house bank connected to the other alt.

Megawatt
09-04-2010, 03:41 AM
Nice post...Thank you very much!!......

Bill Allen
09-04-2010, 08:19 AM
I have a 200 amp alt. on the stbd. engine seperate inverter bank (8 golf cart batteries). Use a yadinda combiner off the stabd battery bank. When running and after my main banks up to proper voltage the combiner allows the inverter bank to also charge. When running the inverter powers everything ( refrig, T.V. icemaker and lights) but the a.c. and heavy user, stove etc, but runs the microwave very nicely. No genset required for most things. Bill

bobk
09-04-2010, 10:04 AM
I have a 200 amp alt. on the stbd. engine seperate inverter bank (8 golf cart batteries). Use a yadinda combiner off the stabd battery bank. When running and after my main banks up to proper voltage the combiner allows the inverter bank to also charge. When running the inverter powers everything ( refrig, T.V. icemaker and lights) but the a.c. and heavy user, stove etc, but runs the microwave very nicely. No genset required for most things. Bill

I use a Yandina combiner with the same type of set up that Bill has, except my bank is six GC's and the engine alternator is the standard size. It just keeps up with two refrigerators when cruising and will run them overnight easily. The combiner is the easyiest way to go and the Yandina product has been very reliable over the past four years .

Bob