PDA

View Full Version : Headliner

diamondsun
09-05-2004, 06:30 PM
We want to install a new salon headliner on our 1969 Hatteras 50 MY. How difficult is this to do yourself and where is the best place to purchase materials? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

captwoodyb
09-22-2004, 05:47 PM
I need to replace my 1972 53 MY. Inquired sev eral years ago, seems to me either Hatteras or Sams quoted me a price of 650.00 for main salon material. It was several years ago. Hope that helps, I would be interested in the info you obtain....Capt Woody www.charteryacht.com

mike
09-22-2004, 07:35 PM
capt woody, whats your hull number? i have a 53 my hull # 325, i have all the orig docs and would be interested in swaping info about these boats, given they are the same year.

Mike

Soffer
09-22-2004, 08:43 PM
Try painting the headliner if discoloration is the only problem. We did this a few years ago and it is holding up quite well.

PascalG
09-22-2004, 10:54 PM
hmmm.... Mike... you say in the subject that you have hull 324... but then in the post you say 325...

I hope the typo is in the post itself becasue.. I have 53MY325 !!!!

I'd like to know how the healiners are intstalled cause I can't figure it out... they all seem to be held by wooden strips but i can't figure out how the material is attached and how are the strips secured.

the headliner in the salon and galley has been done recently but I might want to redo the staterooms to upgrade the lightning

pascal
miami, fl
1970 53MY

spartonboat1
09-22-2004, 11:33 PM
A terriffic little company out in the middle of nowhere of rural Indiana, north of Indianapolis is Sailrite. They are in a little town of Churubusco and so I dropped by on my way to Indy. They have about every type of canvas, fixture, snaps, fasteners, etc. you can imagine. Give them a call and they can help over the phone.

You probably know then, if at all, from their portable sewing machines for sails and canvas. Bought one, which works great...can sew anything! My wife loves to sew and she is sewing up all new aft enclosure canvas.

Anyway, web site is: www.sailrite.com (http://www.sailrite.com)

All their contact info is on their site...

Mike36c
09-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Soffer, What type of paint did you use and how did you apply it? Thanks, Mike

mike
09-26-2004, 02:26 AM
my hull number is #375, Oct. 31 1972.....sorry for the confusion.... mike

Soffer
09-26-2004, 08:52 PM
We used high quality household ceiling paint. I forget the brand. Apply with a roller made for medium rough texture. Cover EVERYTHING before you start. Still lots easire than replacing the liner.

If you're not sure, try it in a discrete area and see how it holds. Did it in 2001 and still looks good.

davesommers
09-27-2004, 01:14 AM
Back to the original question, if the headliner is like that in my 36 it is Nautolex white preforated material. It is sold 54" wide and runs around 18 to 20 a yard. It sews fairly easy on a good HD machine. I have not yet done the headliner in the hatteras, but it is on the long list. It appears that the Hatt headliner is attached by staples to the cross beams of the overhead at intervals where the material seams are. When you pull the old one down it will be evident how to reattach.

Did the one in my topaz in the past, but it was much smaller area and olny had one seam. It was also stapled to the overhead as well as glued at a couple of the edges...

hATTISFACTION
09-27-2004, 07:01 PM
I replaced the headliner in my previous 41 Conv . and it is not too hard. Purchase the Nautilex headliner material and have any marine fabric shop sew enough sections together to cover the area. I purchased the Nautilex at Defender Inductries. Start at the center of one end of the room and work your way toward the other stapling the seams to the ceiling crossframes just as they were originally/.. Always work from the center out to the edges then go onto the next section.Puchase a good electric stapling gun and monel staples (I found them at Home Depot at reasonable cost).Trim the excess after stapling,put the trim back back up and you are good to go.The trick is to keep even tension for a nice smooth surface,,resist the temptation too pull the fabric too tight.
If you are considering paint,take a look at the white spray paint West Marine has on page 562 of their 2004 catalog called Nicro Cote. I have used this paint to refinish chair cushions and a friend used it on his headliner and it holds up well. I put three coats on deck chairs that lasted three years and still looked good when I sold
the old 41.