PDA

View Full Version : Double bed in a 43

Trojan
09-25-2004, 02:21 PM
Can you put a double bed in place of the twins in a 43 Hat.I thought someone had done this.My wife is not letting purchase the boat because it has twins.Any help out there?Bill

rtrafford
09-25-2004, 08:54 PM
absolutely, but it may be best served flush to the side wall with a companion way on one side only. a double bed is roughly the size of two twins, or can easily be made so.

Walter Pereira
09-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Years ago we had a 1973 model 43MY with twins aft. We really liked the new design with the center line queen, so we decided to get one (a 1980 model). If we would have kept the twin model we were going to have the twins converted to a large center line bed by moving the two 200 gal fuel tanks together and reconstructing the master stateroom. There was a yard in one of the Carolina's that was going to do it but since it was so long ago, I don't remember who it was.

I would NOT enlarge one of the existing twin bunks to a double unless you like to crawl on your hands and knees to make up a bed every day. Also the person against the bulkhead better have the ability to not need to use the head over nite, otherwise it will require crawling over your bed mate.

I recommend you talk to Tom Slane about it and perhaps, if he can't help you out, he will recommend someone.

Walt

freestylebruuce
09-27-2004, 11:08 AM
The previous owner of my 43 had Rybovich and Spencer create a queen bed over the starboard fuel tank. The port tank has storage over half with a "day bed" which works OK for kids at night but has not draw rave reviews on the guys trips. I am 6ft 3 and my new wife is about 6 feet. We love the extra width of the bed.

There is a trick at night to get out where the bed hangs out in front of the door to the head so no one has to wake up.

I can check the receipt but I think the former owner spent like $1,100 for a first rate job.

Bruce

Walter Pereira
09-27-2004, 11:12 PM
I was talking to my lst mate relative to the cost of the conversation from twin beds to a center line queen and she seemed to recall a price tag of around $7,000.00. A healthy amount especially 15 years ago, however it included pretty much a complete rebuild of the master stateroom including moving the fuel tanks together. I'm sure it will cost more today, but it's probably worth it ....even more so if you get cold at night.

walt........:;) ;) ;)

Jaxfishgyd
09-28-2004, 12:06 AM
Know I will get into trouble with my reply.....:(

After 34 yrs of marriage, even though I'm still "only 53", and her being a YOUNG 50, having been full time liveaboards for over 4 years now, We cannot justify the cost to convert the twins.

Besides, she can come "visit" anytime she wants.

And with the "change of life" she's now going thru........... Well, never mind. Let me just say, Thank goodness we don't have to rely on a holding tank or else it would have to be pumped out every other day....And I am not awaken when she gets up several times a night...

Trojan
09-28-2004, 11:15 AM
I can fully understand that.My wife is 44 and I'm 60.For the price to convert,if I can't do it myself.She is going to just haft to visit.I have managed to convince her to get the boat.Now its just a matter of surveys and money.Thanks for the input guys.I will most likely need more info before its all over.Bill