PDA

View Full Version : Teak Bow Rails on 42' LRC

captbuddy47
07-31-2003, 10:39 PM
I am in the process of purchasing a 1981 42' Hatteras LRC and the Bow Rails on the Port and Starboard side have been broken into by a large I beam at the Marina. The insurance company stated it was an act of god and they refuse to fix it. Does anyone have any idea how to purchase the necessary wood or any idea on replacing the teak rail. On the port side it broke just aft of the front fitting the rail was inserted into. On the starboard side it broke two sections back. I got the owner to drop his price 2500 to help me get this fixed. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Capt. Buddy

skammtoo
08-01-2003, 10:03 AM
I had a section of rail replaced last year by my marina (which obviously doesn't work cheap). To cut and shape the piece and install it only cost $500.00! It was one stantion back from the bow down two more stantions. I have a 1965 50' Hatteras MY. The main cost was the material because of the large curve. A very wide piece had to be used to be milled down. I stained and varnished it myself.

Tough job to do without the equipment, but not a very expensive job considering other things you'll come across.8)

Bob Bradley
08-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Since when does God whack boats with I-beams? From my Catechism days, I seem to recall him being partial to boats.

In any event. have you considered steam bending a piece? I've made a simple steamer out of a piece of 4" PVC, a radiator hose, an old steel gas can, and a propane burner, and it worked quite well for bending white oak. I presume that your teak would also bend. If you don't want to go to that extreme, you could construct it out of a few pieces, as long as you fit them together carefully.
Bob

jim rosenthal
08-02-2003, 01:56 AM
I'd like to know who your boat is insured with, if you don't mind, so I make sure never to spend any money insuring anything with them....good luck with your rail. Which area of the country are you in...I may be able to give you some names of people who can make the rail up for you.

captbuddy47
08-03-2003, 11:13 PM
skammtoo,
Thanks for the reply. My daughters boy friend works for a home builder and spoke with one of his cabinet makers. He stated he could buy the teak out of New Orleans. He said he could steam a piece to get the curve so this is a possibility. I just met another boat owner today and he had, I think, a great idea. He said to just move the fitting which the end of the teak fits into back a couple sections and replace the broken piece of teak with a longer piece of stainless steel rail. This would just make you have a longer piece of stainless rail coming from your pulpit. I could cut off the other side to match and who would know the difference except maybe another Hatteras Owner. What do you think about this idea. Thanks again.

captbuddy
08-03-2003, 11:29 PM
Bob & Jim
I appreciate the the reply's. As you can see I am new at this site. As you can see from my previous reply, I think I have come up with the solution to my problem. What do you think about replacing the stainless steel rail instead of the teak?
Thanks again,
Capt Buddy

Skamm Too
08-05-2003, 10:53 PM
I have stated, many times over the years, that I was thinking of replacing the wood rails with all stainless rails and everyone was pretty horrified that I'd even think of doing that to a classic Hatteras. I buckled under and fixed and maintained the wood rails.

Acutally, they do really set off the classic look and it's not all that much work to keep up once they are up to snuff. I just wet sand them and give them a coat of varnish two or three times a season (New England)

Good Luck!!:rollin

jim rosenthal
08-06-2003, 12:57 AM
I would stick with the teak rails. I think the LRC is a great looking boat and I would keep it as original as possible. The wood rails are more confortable when you have to grip them as well; you can't get that kind of broad section in stainless.