PDA

View Full Version : Canvas vs Hard Top

Macho
06-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Dear friends,

Just purchased a 70'MY from an owner who did not use the flybridge except for mooring with a good view at the marina. I see it as the ideal entertainment place for my guest and family as long as there is some decent protection from the sun and minor bad weather.

Based on your experience, do you recomend installing a canvas or a fixed hard top? if so any ideas where to find them and what I can expect to pay for each option?

I think that a hard top will be better but not sure where to find a good deal or even a used one that can be fitted into the Radar Arc my boat has.

Thanks,

Macho

Sparky1
06-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Congrats on the new boat, you'll have to post some pictures for us. I prefer a canvas top as I like to run the boat from up top and have the option of sitting in the sun while I do it.

No doubt that will be the most cost effective route to go. Is there not an exisiting bimini or any of the original framing for a bimini? I assume it came from the factory with one, but maybe not.

Macho
06-16-2009, 06:40 PM
There is no set up for the canvas nor the hard top, just a plain radar arch. Any suggestions?

Sparky1
06-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Maybe you could contact Hatteras or Sam's and see if there's still a pattern available for the canvas assuming that arch is original which it probably isn't. If not, it shouldn't be that difficult to have one fitted. Then it will become a matter of whether or not you want a full enclosure as opposed to just a bimini.

A full enclosure is going to cost you some pretty good $$$, but a simple bimini tied into the arch won't be that expensive. You could basically mail-order something along that line by taking some simple measurements.

spartonboat1
06-16-2009, 07:11 PM
A 70' footer? Reminds me of the old song 'Jealousy'!! I do know of an insurance executive with a 58' YF who wants to sell because he has had his eye on a 70'MY...and who wouldn't...

I wonder if Atlantic Towers would have structures they could adapt to support the canvas. My wife has made custom canvas, so the canvas part can't be that difficult.

akintosyali
06-16-2009, 07:36 PM
I would go hybrid if i were you. out a hard top from Atlantic to cover the driving area, and cover the rest with canvas. This will give you the protection that you need yet allow you to enjoy the sun when the weather is perfect.

scottwvyc
06-16-2009, 08:48 PM
If you want to look into hard top , contact Slane Marine

Brian Degulis
06-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Here's a photo of one I built for our 61'MY. It's all aluminum I went that way because Slanes and others were quoting around 30K for a typical anodized aluminum frame with cored glass top. This costs much less. Some think mine looks better because it's not a frame with a top on it looks more like it was built with the boat. If it interests you I can get you some more detailed photos.

Brian

ThirdHatt
06-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Brian, Is that fiberglass under your bow railings or dodgerboard? I have never seen that done before! It looks tough, kinda Nordhaven-ish like it could take higher seas without stuffing the bow with all that extra freeboard! I like it!

Macho
06-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Excelent ideas guys. Loved your hardtop Brian.

I tried to attach a picture of my radar arch but was unable to. I added a picture of my boat as my profile picture but you might not be able to see the arch very well. I will try to post some pictures of the boat in the gallery.

Who will be the best suppliers of biminis or hard tops? I see many burgers, hardgraves and other yachts now with very nice hard tops which I assume are being produced in large quantities instead of going through the major expense of having one custom made for me. If I cannot find a hard one at a resonable price, I will go for the bimini canvas until I figure out how to get the hard one.

Thanks!

Brian Degulis
06-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Brian, Is that fiberglass under your bow railings or dodgerboard? I have never seen that done before! It looks tough, kinda Nordhaven-ish like it could take higher seas without stuffing the bow with all that extra freeboard! I like it!

I made those and the enclosure behind the flybridge out of HDO (High density overlay) Plywood. It's made for re usable concrete forms. It's fir plywood with a phenolic overlay on both sides I use it everywhere. It finishes great and it's as weather resistant as fiberglass. You just have to seal the edges very well with epoxy. The face is very smooth and free of grain pattern a light sanding and it's ready for paint. I did that mainly for safty of dogs and kids but it does prevent a lot of spray also.

Brian

Brian Degulis
06-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Excelent ideas guys. Loved your hardtop Brian.

I tried to attach a picture of my radar arch but was unable to. I added a picture of my boat as my profile picture but you might not be able to see the arch very well. I will try to post some pictures of the boat in the gallery.

Who will be the best suppliers of biminis or hard tops? I see many burgers, hardgraves and other yachts now with very nice hard tops which I assume are being produced in large quantities instead of going through the major expense of having one custom made for me. If I cannot find a hard one at a resonable price, I will go for the bimini canvas until I figure out how to get the hard one.

Thanks!

I don't know of anyone with stock hard tops seems there always custom made for the boat. Where are you located I'm in Tampa FL area. We are slow at work and might consider building an aluminum one for you.

Brian

Macho
06-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Will check with Sam's, Hatteras and the others to see what is available.

Brian, I sent you a private message.

I would also be interested in finding a 36" swim platform.

Have you guys seen the picture of the boat I posted in the gallery? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Macho

stormchaser
06-17-2009, 03:26 PM
I made those and the enclosure behind the flybridge out of HDO (High density overlay) Plywood. It's made for re usable concrete forms. It's fir plywood with a phenolic overlay on both sides I use it everywhere. It finishes great and it's as weather resistant as fiberglass. You just have to seal the edges very well with epoxy. The face is very smooth and free of grain pattern a light sanding and it's ready for paint. I did that mainly for safty of dogs and kids but it does prevent a lot of spray also.

Brian

NICE! How did you attach it? We were goign to put up netting like causing sailboats but I like that a LOT better...

Brian Degulis
06-17-2009, 10:44 PM
The enclosure aft of the flybridge is a structure that uses that plywood as the sheathing. In the fore deck I fitted it and used 1/4 20 machine screws and tapped the rail stantions.

Brian

Sparky1
06-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Will check with Sam's, Hatteras and the others to see what is available.

Brian, I sent you a private message.

I would also be interested in finding a 36" swim platform.

Have you guys seen the picture of the boat I posted in the gallery? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

MachoJust saw the photo you posted, and she's a beauty! As I suspected, that is not a Hatteras arch (don't think they put them on that vintage anyway). It's going to be more difficult to tie into that type of arch, and quite frankly, I don't think I'd even try. Just take some measurements and have somebody make you a bimini which won't be attached to the arch.

http://www.samsmarine.com/photopost/data/500/TipTop_001.jpg

34Hatt
06-18-2009, 08:17 AM
Here a link too more pictures of Brian top and mast he really did a nice job.
Click on the picture to the right for larger version.

http://www.ajxne.com/brian/

Also I say Hard top you do them once and your done!

Sparky don't you know the sun is Bad for your skin your going to get wrinkles ;)

Sparky1
06-18-2009, 09:41 AM
So when I get wrinkles, I'll look like you? http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif

Seriously, we're not talking about me or Macho doing our boating in Florida. If I boated there all the time, I'd have a hardtop too. It's really nice to be able to see the ridgelines as I'm cruising the river, especially during the fall when the leaves are doing their thing. To each his own.

joe wheeler
06-23-2009, 10:21 AM
I have had trouble keeping a bimini from shredding in the Charleston winds and sought a hardtop from the outfit in Ft lauderdale that makes towers. I was a bit shocked to get a quote of $55,000 for a Hatteras 65 with an existing aluminum arch.

rwetherington
06-23-2009, 11:56 AM
call IMS Busch Towers. They have done quite a few here in the yard.

saltshaker
06-23-2009, 12:36 PM
I have an aluminum frame with a lexan top. Top is much lighter than a fiberglass hard top and it allows a nice amount of light in. Top was made just before I bought the boat so I can't say how much it cost. I do know it was much less than a fiberglass hard top.

34Hatt
06-23-2009, 01:04 PM
I have an aluminum frame with a lexan top. Top is much lighter than a fiberglass hard top and it allows a nice amount of light in. Top was made just before I bought the boat so I can't say how much it cost. I do know it was much less than a fiberglass hard top.

I did all the Investigation into this before I made mine. With the lexan you need many more supports going across. So between the extra aluminum and the lexan the weight came out very close to a Foam Cored top. Deciding factor was less Aluminum to worry about pitting and to look at.