PDA

View Full Version : I need parts. Where to look?

modernman
09-18-2004, 10:04 PM
I recently purchased a 34' SC The bridge windshield and one of the end clips got trashed in transit. Also there are some cracked windows and damaged window trim. The "visor" over the wheelhouse is not original, and replacing the fiberglass bridge might make more sense than attempting to repair it.
The paint is flaking and peeling on the topsides. the hull paint seems to adhered well but is totally dulled out. What is the best approach to prep for an epoxy paint job? can stripper be used or is it necessary to sand only. How would I keep from sanding through the gel coat? If anyone who has dealt with this can help, I am all ears. Thanks!

rtrafford
09-19-2004, 03:20 PM
many original parts can be obtained from Sam's Marine. the windows of these cracked, as i understand, due to their involvement in house structure.

problem with a stripper is that it will impede on your hull paint if not properly protected. in the end you will pobably be best served repainting her from the boot up, sanding all surfaces religiously. the use of stripper will not lessen the requirement of sanding.

it's a ton of work, but if the prep is done properly it should last several years. don't cheat on the prep work!

jim rosenthal
09-19-2004, 06:42 PM
.. at Slane Marine. They updated several boats with new flying bridges and the old ones may be there. It's possible a 36C bridge might fit your boat.

modernman
09-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Fortunately I have the boat in a building and can slog away at paint prep over the upcoming winter.

67HAT34C
09-20-2004, 10:57 AM
PLEASE LOOK UP THE CLASSIC HATTERAS SITE, THERE IS A LINK ON SAMS MAIN PAGE. THIS PAGE IS DEDICATED TO THE 34'S. CONTACT MARK OR DAN FROM THIS PAGE. BOTH OF THEM HAVE RE BUILT THEIR 34'S.

I HAVE A 1967 34C AND AM GETTING READY TO DO WINDOWS.
SAMS SELLS THE FRAME MATERIAL. THERE ARE SEVERAL GOOD WINDOW MANUFACTURERS. ONE IN FLORIDA HAS MADE WINDOWS FOR THESE BOATS. THE NAME SLIPS MY MIND BUT I HAVE THE INFO AT HOME OR IN THE BOAT.

PLEASE CONTACT ME AT MY HOME OR OFFICE E MAIL
SHIERH@AOL.COM OR STEVE.HIERHOLZER@CNA.COM

Jimmy Watts
09-29-2004, 05:36 PM
Modernman,

I might be able to help you with your windows. I have been working with Steve at SAM'S Marine for many years now. I manufacture new replacement window frames for Hatteras boats. If you would like to discuss your windows, I would be happy to talk with you about them. You can contact me at 252-634-2214 of email at jwatts14@cox.net.

Jimmy Watts