PDA

View Full Version : A year living aboard: a few thoughts...

PascalG
09-23-2004, 06:21 PM
Tomorrow will make it exactly a year since bought my boat and moved aboard. Guess what? I absolutely don't regret it; in fact, I wish I had done this before.

Even after a year, every time I come home the minute I step on the dock in the evening I still gets this odd feeling that I'm on vacation. It's hard to explain but it's like a miracle: the city suddenly disappears, noise, traffic... it all fades away and all that's left of busy Miami is the skyline... great view at night! For a boater, walking down a dock looking at boats is not bad and so is enjoying a nice sunset or even a full moon and stars in the sky. In the morning leaving when it's still cool with that warm early morning light makes for a pleasant stroll down the pier. Obviously, living aboard in South Florida means I don't have to worry about snow, ice or cold rain while walking to the boat, maybe I woudln't feel that way up north.

The best thing about living aboard? being able to drop the lines, cords and hoses and be underway whenever I feel like it; the whole process takes me less than 5 minutes. There is no driving to the marina, having to bring some food, drinks or clothes... it's all there, always ready. Afternoon run across the bay to anchor and enjoy the sunset, weekend getaways, evening cruise around downtown... the boat has never stayed in its slip for more than a week.

I am lucky to live on Biscayne Bay, a large protected bay which extends from Miami all the way down to Key Largo, offering plenty of nice anchorages. Most of the bay is part of Biscayne National park and living aboard is probably the only way I can take my home and move it in the middle of a national park for a few days, enjoying shallow cristal clear water...

I really admire someone who can live on a 30' sailboat, but I cant. I need to be comfortable like air conditioning, not having to use to the marina's public bathrooms... Maybe I should have joined the Boy Scouts when I was a kid but I didn't and camping isn't for me... When I started looking for a live aboard boat, it didn't take me long to narrow the list down to I wanted and after only a couple of months searching, I was lucky to find a very nice 1970 Hatteras 53 MY. I chose an earlier model, not only because they are cheaper but mostly because they have non turbo engines. The venerable Detroits 8V71Ns are slower than the latter versions but cheaper to maintain and last longer between rebuilt. After years of cruising at 20 or 25kts, life in the slow lane isn't bad. So far in a year, it's been relatively surprise free except for soem A/C issues which I didn't expect since all the condensing units were almost new. Regular maintenance is no worst than epxectand frankly washing a 35 or 53 footer takes about just as long. Just like doing an oil change is more or less as time consuming regardless of boat size although needing 5 gallons - not quarts - of oil per engine was an eye opener the first time around... Running costs are very reasonable and running the boat at a 9 kts hull speed means fuel cost per mile are less than half than they were on my previous boat, a 37 express with twin gas guzzlers...

The 53 has a lot of space with 3 staterooms, 3 heads, large galley, dinette, salon, big covered aft deck, seating area on the bow and a large flybridge. In fact, it has about as much square footage as a small appartment... Space is limited on a boat so it's not as roomy as the condo I used to have, but who really needs a 250sq ft bathroom anyway! Both my daughter and son have their own stateroom, each with an extra bunk which comes in handy when they invite friends. Despite being over 30 years old, the previous owner had it repainted, installed a new generator and upgraded various systems making it very presentable. It has almost all the conveniences and comfort of a "real" home with air conditioning, home size galley appliances, washer/dryer, generator; the only thing missing is a dishwasher but I can live with that. Storage is adequate, and one of the good things about living aboard is that I no longer accumulate all the junk I used to; I still have boxes and boxes of "stuff" in storage which I will probably never need...

I normally handle the boat alone, regardless of who's on board, if for no other reason that it's good training for the times I'm alone. This is also where the 53 shines: thanks to the lower helm with side doors the spring lines are just a few steps away and the 50 000lbs mass isn't getting blown sideways when the breeze picks up. The very first time I took the boat out, it felt like.. "oh s... what did I get myself into". After backing it into the slip I realized that the larger the boat, the easier it is to handle so don't settle for a smaller boat for fear of single handling a larger one. Draft was a consideration since I often go to the Keys and the 4' draft is perfect. Although designed in the mid sixties, the 53MY is still a pretty good looking boat with a classic look; I like the flush deck design which not only gives a lot of space but also gives the boat some nice lines... It also places the salon windows higher so people walking down the dock usually can't see inside.

After a year, I really can't find much to complain about with the 53; it's the perfect boat for what I need.

I still can't find any negatives about living aboard except maybe that homes go up in value while boats depreciate. Or maybe having to explain to friends, acquaintances and relatives that I'm not completly nuts and that living aboard is great! Looking at living costs, the slip fees are similar to the property taxes I used to pay and I no longer have to pay high condo maintenance fees... or lawn services if had lived in a house. Marine insurance cost more than homeowner insurance but since I always had a boat this is an expense I would have anyway, just like boat maintenance costs.

And living aboard... I don't have to worry about hurricane shutters : I can move my home out of the way of Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne and all their little friends! well... so far.

Pascal
Miami, FL
1970 53 MY

marioG
09-23-2004, 06:57 PM
quite lovely Pascal,
you should forward this to PassageMaker Magazine so other "armchair cruisers" can live their dreams through your eyes too...

just a thought, (you lucky devil you)

Mario
from Miami

jim rosenthal
09-23-2004, 09:47 PM
for your account of your first year. I lived on my Hatteras as well, although it was a little different up here in MD. The 53MY may be the perfect liveaboard boat...lots of room but still moveable when you get the urge.
You really ought to forward the letter to PASSAGEMAKER so they can publish it. Not everyone who reads that journal wants to cross oceans or disappear for years at a time. Some of them just want to spend quality time on the water, like you do. And running at 9 kts, which must be not too much above hull speed, how many gals/mile are you using- or is it the other way around....:lol

Nick
09-24-2004, 05:38 PM
We envy your experience. Having spent the last ten years of summers aboard in the northeast, with family (three kids and spouse and yes pet too, it truly feels like a vacation everyday. The daily grind just doesn't make it down the dock!!!

Wishing we could spend the year and years aboard!!!!

Docs Holiday
09-25-2004, 09:10 AM
Pascal--your review of your first year on board makes excellent reading. I 100% agree. I moved aboard 2 years ago this coming January. Southeast Texas does not have the beautiful water and beaches that you have in Florida but the feeling is the same. I am 5 minutes from work and feel like I am hundreds of miles away from the turmoil when I return to my boat in the evening. What could be more relaxing than having a coctail while watching the sun set over the bow of your boat. Being able to slip the lines or watch the moon sparkle in the ripples of the mooring line splashing into the water makes all of the boat maintenance seem worth it!
I have a chris craft 501 (-see www.doc's holiday.com for pics) but have learned so much from yours and others posting on this site that I review it regularly. My impression is that chris craft modelled this boat along the lines of a Hat since most of the systems seem to be the same. Thanks for all the great tips and would love to see some pics of repairs and modifications you have done.
ralph

ttom02
09-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Pascal,
This is painful reading your post. We have a 58 Hatt MY on the hill having work done so that "sometime" in the future when we are lucky enough to finally get free - we can't wait to do what you making sound so great.
Still working, but will see ya someday.
Destiny
New Bern, NC

Norman Mayer
10-01-2004, 12:45 AM
My wife and I, with 13 year old daughter (now, part time) moved aboard 6 years ago december 31. We have a 44' tricabin and also love living aboard! We have made many upgrades, including turning the mid cabin into a ship's office/computer room, and making lots of new storage. We have, for the most part, tried to keep the boat looking original, therefore hiding as many changes as possible to looking like it did before we started.
We live in Cincinnati, OH, fighting snow and ice in the winter, rising and falling water levels, and other inconveniences. I have to say, we still LOVE coming home every day. My wife retired 2 years ago, and I will in another 4 1/2, which is when we will start travelling.

Can't wait! We want to explore the east coast, Florida, the various islands near there, and where ever the mood strikes. Where ever we go, we will stay a day or a month, whatever we feel like at the moment! We also rarely stay at the dock for more than a week at a time. A year after we moved on we even went out New Year's Eve, with a group of friends, breaking ice to get out of the harbour, to celebrate the new millenium.

Hope you continue to enjoy the live aboard life like we do. There is nothing like it!!!

If you want it, my email address is normmayer@fuse.net. I would like talking more if anyone is interested.