PDA

View Full Version : CYCA members' rendevous and judging

jim rosenthal
09-27-2004, 10:18 PM
This past weekend, I took Blue Note, my 36 convertible, to the annual judging rendevous of the Classic Yacht Club, which is based here on the Chesapeake Bay. This club is unusual in that it actively encourages folks with classic fiberglass boats to join- it is not for wood boats only. So we have several Hatteras yachts (including a 53MY that won, I believe, Best in Fleet and several other awards a few years back), at least one Bertram, a Post at one time, an Albin, a Matthews 46' glass model, designed by Hargrave, built by Halmatic, and eerily like a Hatteras), and probably others I can't bring to mind.
The club activities and rendevous are a lot of fun. These folks are great boat enthusiasts, and the club fleet is terrific- where else can you see Hatteras and Bertram yachts tied up next to Trumpys, Chris-Craft Constellations, Consolidated, and Matthews, and everyone having a good time and admiring each others boats. Most of the people in the club do much of their own work on the boats, and the level of expertise and experience is high. They have a number of rendevous around the Chesapeake Bay every boating season, and the judging rendevous is one fo the later ones.
I would encourage anyone with a vintage Hatteras who is interested and enthusiastic about these great older yachts to join. The web site is classicyachtclub.org or shoot me an email at jimbo1907@comcast.net and I will do my best to answer questions or hook you up. Boats have to be 25 years old to join. Folks can join as associate members without boats as well, I believe. A splendid time is guaranteed for all.
FYI, Blue Note won Best in Class, did very well for a first time out, and will definitely be in the judging next year.

DOUBLE EAGLE
09-27-2004, 11:29 PM
HI JIM
WHO WAS THE 53 my that won [ boat name ]
was it a 1510 member?
just interested..
do the boats have to stay vintage or as original as possible?
thanks
bill
double eagle 58yf-1972

jim rosenthal
09-28-2004, 12:35 AM
Hi Bill,
The 53MY that did very well a year or two ago was Top Hatt, which was owned then by Stan Klein, I think, and now belongs to Gary and Carol Mazza. They did not show it this year but plan to next year. The boats do not have to be original but there are some judging guidelines which seem to me to have more to do with function than anything else..for example, a boat would lose points if windows that formerly moved were glassed shut or sealed. No points are lost for updates in machinery, safety or nav equipment. I suppose that an older boat which had an excessively modern interior might lose points, but then again maybe not. Painting a boat in a color which was conspicuously non-original would lose points- like a pink Hatteras. I think the bottom line here is that people who like older boats like them pretty much the way they areand don't tend to change them greatly. Usually they repaint them, redecorate the interiors, update the running gear and systems, and use them a lot. This is what the people in the Classic Yacht Club do with their boats- they all get used, some of them live on them, the boats are not trailer queens, so if you use your boat a lot, you would be right at home.
Were you there- I remember seeing someone wearing a shirt that said Double Eagle but didn't make the connection. Gary's 53MY was over at Sailing Emporium, on the bulkhead right outside the shops.

DOUBLE EAGLE
09-29-2004, 12:34 AM
hi jim
always enjoy your remarks, always informative
we are members of the 1510 club only.
keep the boat in the keys--marathon
joyfully missed by all the hurricanes...this yr.
we were in st micheals this yr again...on a friends 58yf
also was at the chrisfield crab fest...fun fun
we have used the boat a lot in 11 yrs
9 trips to the bahamas...lived on it for the winter for 5yrs
as pascal says it is so relaxing...
need to get him in the 1510 club..
we will have another winter rend this yrs in feb
am humored by some of the stuff owners seem to have to change or fix on their boats that seem to keep them from useing them...there are some thing s on these old boats that you just cant get to work perfect..
but I guess its how much you spend or have to spend
bill

heyboo
10-01-2004, 06:52 PM
I would like to second Jim's remarks and invitation to qualified owners to join the CYCA. This was my first rendevous and I did not enter the judging. Maybe next year. It's a good organization and it's established and entrenched in it's mission. It's the boats man.

I also saw Jim's boat up close and personal and boy did it inspire me. She looks showroom new...Jim's, not mine. I was parked stern to stern against a 68 +/- Trumpy over at The Sailing Emporium and I got a beautiful full frame twilight pic which shows a beautiful contrast.

More Hatteras' please!

But Jim...where's the PRS?:smokin

jim rosenthal
10-02-2004, 12:15 AM
...the guitar-on-boat shot was the photographers idea, not mine. I am glad they didn't print that photo any larger than they did. Plus, it's an electric guitar and not plugged in....and anyway, what I play 90% of the time is my 1966 Telecaster, which may not look nearly as fancy but is a much better player guitar. And my tweed Bandmaster amp, which used to belong to Danny Gatton...and is too heavy and too loud to go on the boat.

heyboo
10-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Had them all Jim...10 times over. Still have a player Tele, but it's me Strats that I always return to. I thought that since you were in Annapolis that the PRS fit. Probably no-one knows what we're talking about...or cares, and would rather we cut it out. Any other players out there?:hat

jim rosenthal
10-03-2004, 02:14 AM
Actually the PRS archtop was a gift from Paul Smith. If you email me at jimbo1907@comcast.net I'll tell you about it, it's sort of an interesting story. Worth repeating anyway.