PDA

View Full Version : SeaHawk Bottom Paint

Werner Schoenknecht
02-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Any thoughts on the quality of SeaHawk bottom paints for the Great Lakes.
Werner
Mirage 1986MY

Captned
02-17-2009, 02:22 PM
I didnt care for it down here in Florida. Used it one season only.

Captned
MbMM

Pete
02-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Captned,

Could you explain a little more. I am in NC, currently using Pettit Ultima ablative bottom paint, and am thinking of switching to Sea Hawk since the Pettit Ultima paint is now available in multiple versions and as best I can tell took a healthy price increase for what I need.

Pete

Werner Schoenknecht
02-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks for your interest. SeaHawk paints came to my attention when the guy who might be doing the job suggested it. His plans is for media blasting then two coats of SeaHawk 1284 Tuff Stuff and two coats of SeaHawks Cukote. He claimed that Hatteras was now using these paints on their new boats. Checked it out and he is correct. Not sure what this means for the various conditions. This will be the first time our boat will be brought back to the gelcoat. His total is $4480.00.
Werner

captddis
02-18-2009, 08:33 AM
I was unhappy with it here in FL also. The first time it was barnacle city. I called Seahawk to make good on their no barnacle guarantee. They blamed the yard but they gave me more paint and I repainted it myself. I got 2 years the second time but still got barnacles on the sides between cleanings.
I went back to Micron and never strayed again. Use Micron 66 now exclusively on my boats and all the boats that I maintain.

Captned
02-18-2009, 09:41 AM
That was my story also. It just did not perform the way they advertised it. At least on my application. Micron 66, like Captddis says.. I'm very happy with the results down here.

Captned

bdewar
02-19-2009, 07:56 AM
I put Cukote with biocide on my 53c. It seems to perform well. I keep the boat in Brunswick, GA in the summer and Ft. Pierce from Dec to June. March will be 2 years. I plan to use it again.