PDA

View Full Version : 1974/43 Inherent problems

Trojan
09-28-2004, 11:47 AM
I hope to be a new buyer.Are there any inherent problems in the 74/43ft.My that I should be looking at.It has DD 671s for power.Its a fresh water boat and been out of the water for 3 years.It was put up by the marina.I can not get a sea trial,but I can get a reduction in price because of this.I know the boat. It was in good shape when hauled and the motors ran well.I can only get new surveys.I do have an older survey to start with.The boat is near Detroit,Mi.Any ideas?Like price reduction.Asking is $120,000.I have a figure in mind.The boat has a new interior,but that a cheap repair.The motors are my main concern.3000 hr..Is there a fuel algae in the cold climate the same as down south? Bill

skindr1999
09-28-2004, 12:04 PM
Of course there's always problems with 30 yr. old vessels but the right price would make it more palatable. A good surveyor is of course a must. Second, in lieu of a sea trial a good innovative mechanic could rig up some 50 gal. water drums and get the motors started to see if they are frozen along with the gen. also to check for a cracked block. If that's not possible then I would figure on the worst case scenario, replacing the engines with rebuilt ones, gen. also bottom line unless you are handy, and assuming the hull's fine I'd offer around $75,000 and pass at 80,000 if you can't sea trial the boat. That way you can't get hurt. Good luck.

jkp1
09-28-2004, 12:16 PM
I'd be reluctant to proceed without a sea trail. Crud in the fuel tanks should not be a deciding factor, but 3000 hours on 671's (I'm guessing they are pumped to 450-485 HP) is about the limit for longevity on these engines. You must get engines surveyed. You can get an engine surveyed out of the water, but in water is better. If in doubt, assume the worse and adjust your offer accordingly.

hATTISFACTION
09-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Bill,I am not an expert but having owned a 1967 41C and now own a 1976 42C with 671ti engines I would have money put in escarow pending a sea trial.That also seems like way to much to spend on a 1974 that has been stored for three years and those engines and transmissions cannot be checked out thoroughly via a sea trial. With 3,000 hours unless they are naturals (naturals would be very slow ), you are looking at an overhaul soon.I know algae can grow fast here in New England so I suspect it can out there also. I picked up the 41 on Lake Erie when I purchased it and it was very hot and humid. I would check that fuel very carefully and would be surprised if it was as clean as it should be.
Also I thought the Hats from 1972 -1978 were 42,(42.9") and the 43's replaced the 42's in 1979.Is that a "MY" or "C"?
There is no question that if you can get a good survey and the right price you can get that boat back to being a great boat.What about the genset ?? if it's an original 7.5 Onan consider it of no value as you will have costly repairs and eventual replacement even if it runs now.Figure $6500 to $10,000 for a good Phasor ,Kohler or Northern Lights replacement.
Last, I believe you may have trouble getting insurance with a valid surveyor performed sea trial.
good luck.

Genesis
09-28-2004, 12:47 PM
... without a sea trial.

The problem is that you must assume, without a proper sea trial and engine survey - which you CANNOT DO out of the water - that the mains and genset are all shot.

This is an IMMEDIATE $100,000 whack to your wallet for a repower. That makes the boat worth..... almost zero.

Even assuming only a "rebuild" on the mains, you must STILL assume the genset is trashed, which means again you're looking at $40k for the rebuilds (assuming a gear may need work - probably reasonable) and the genset is another $6-7k on top of that (including labor) - so we're STILL talking about $50k worth of investment.

My personal opinion is that if the "market value" of this boat is in the $100k range (10-20% off "asking" price is the usual), without a sea trial I would offer no more than $50k.

That sounds cruel to the seller, but is it really? HE IS HIDING SOMETHING!

Why can't you sea trial the boat? You're telling me that the owner won't pop for the few hundred bucks to splash it? What's he hiding? Does he know the engines will fail survey - or worse, will not start AT ALL - and is trying to finagle another $20-30k out of the deal? If he splashes it, he's not out much if it fails .vs. a REALISTIC price! You STILL bang him for the $30-40k for the overhauls!

She's gonna sit without a sea trial, unless the seller is going to give her away. The risks are just too high; you can get a decent hull integrity survey without it being in the water, but nothing on the machinery at all - so if you can't put it in the water, you must assume the machinery is worth ZERO.

That'd be how I'd proceed.

Trojan
09-28-2004, 02:58 PM
The motors are naturals 310 HP..One engine has 500hr. the other has 3000 hr.There are no batteries to start these motors,they were removed.There is also a tremendous financial burden on the owners part.Which makes it not a viable option to spend the money.I am the only person who knows about this boat so I need to do something quickly,before it goes on the open market.I would not think that I would be hurt at $60,000..I'm an engineer and can repair just about anything .I just need to know what I should be looking for.I know you guys here know your stuff.I have had boats for 45 years and a 32ft. gas boat now,so I'm not starting out cold .But I sure can use the help.Thanks Bill

34Hatt
09-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Well If you do go for it and splash it just replace the fuel today's diesel is good for 1-2 years storage with stabilizer. 3 years is to long, just pump it and start with fresh.
Dan

BEC53
09-28-2004, 04:11 PM
if you can get the maintenance records. The 671N's are the iron workhorse of diesels. Did you know that there is another 43MY in Boyne City, MI for sale? I think Dillworth & Lalley has it listed. It is a 1975 and my dad owned it from 1978 thru 83. I know it has alway's been in fresh water. Might also be worth checking out.

MarioG
09-28-2004, 04:42 PM
splash the boat.......................... $200.00
good marine machanic to check the engines... $400.00
yard tech. to check hull, stringers... $300.00
polish fuel, $1.00 gal x 100...... $100.00
borrow some batteries and go sea (lake) trial $50.00
----------
total $1050.00

if everything checks (I dought it), asking price minus 20% minus repairs needed...

IMO,
MarioG

jim rosenthal
09-28-2004, 07:28 PM
..on a deal like that. The present owner should not be afraid to do a sea trial at your expense. The prospective buyer ALWAYS pays for the sea trial. Who would spend that kind of money on a boat without running it in the water? Would you buy a car for half that without driving it?
It sounds to me like the owner IS trying to hide something. I would run, not walk, from this deal unless the price is so rock-bottom cheap that you could afford to rebuild the entire drive systems and genset and still not be upside down in it. Which gets us back to Karl's $50K, which sounds right about there to me. Isn't there anything else for sale that you could readily look at in the area?

Trojan
09-28-2004, 08:09 PM
This is just what I'm trying to be,careful There is a lot more going on here than what meets the eye.I have looked at the boat many times .My main thoughts are on the engines.I don't really want a sea trial.I want to buy as-is so I can get the boat cheaper.I don't work and have lots of time to repair providing there are no major repairs.So I'm trying to figure all the odds.Good or bad.I don't want to spend my money to get someone else's boat running so they can raise the price.If they want a higher price I think it should be running at there expense.

Genesis
09-28-2004, 08:38 PM
.. get a GOOD hull survey.

Start at $50k. Subtract anything found on the hull survey. That's your final "settlement" price.

You are assuming the engines and genset are shot. That's fair, if the seller will not demonstrate otherwise.

You can crank a 6-71N with a cheap Group 31 battery if the weather is warm. Not for long, but if the engines are in good shape it shouldn't take long.

This BS about not being able to get it running is a huge red flag - no matter what you think you know about the boat.

Offer $50k contingent on a satisfactory survey. If that deal goes you'll be ok. Above that price I would run, not walk away.

Trojan
09-28-2004, 09:53 PM
The people with the boat are loosing every thing including another boat and there home.They have no money.I think I will offer a low price and go from there.Thanks for the help.I'll let you all know what goes on .Bill

DLCameron2
09-28-2004, 11:30 PM
Bill....contact me at DLCameron2@comcast.net. I sold my 1977 43DC last year, I owned it for 7 years and I probably "know" the boat you are talking about. Happy to speak with you on the phone, just send me an e-mail. I also have in mind a surveyor that will give you a no nonsense survey, expensive but worth it.

Don

OceansWest
10-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Hello,

Did you ever buy this? How did it turn out?

I am looking at a 1974 '31 Hatteras. It is in rough shape and I am wondering what I may be getting in to.

Thanks,

Ken

Trojan
10-10-2004, 01:11 PM
No not yet.I'm still working on the deal.I think it's going to take some time.Bill