PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Fuel Hose on Onan Generator

captbuddy
11-19-2008, 02:00 PM
having to replace the intake hose on my 7.5kw Onan Gen. It was dry rotted and started leaking. No place in Panama City on the weekend to have it made up. Took it off and brought it back to Macon, Ga. The hose guy said that was special fittings he didn't have but he could just replace the hose on the existing fittings. My question is, I noticed when I looked at the hose it stated USCG apporved. Am I going to be in violation if I replace the hose with a hose rated at 330 PSI? The new hose does not say USCG approved.
Thanks,
captbuddy

REBrueckner
11-19-2008, 02:26 PM
I can't imagine anyone ever noticing...I'd just want to make sure any new hose is fuel use approved....

When my marine mechanic put in new diesel fuel heater hoses for me and tapped into my genny feed and return...the hoses they used did not say USCG approved....

captbuddy
11-19-2008, 03:37 PM
Yes, I did make sure with the hose guy, that the new hose was for diesel fuel. He said it was. I had already been told a hydraulic hose would not work with diesel fuel. I did not know that.
captbuddy

Nonchalant1
11-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Been there, done that. I just took my old Onan hose to a large truck repair shop. They had the same pressure fittings and crimping dies, diesel fuel hose and even a nylon chafe guard 5 ft. long to put around the fuel hose to protect it as it snaked through the sound shield and around corners.

Doug Shuman

Blaine Thorpe
11-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Your local Caterpillar dealer (earthmoving side) should have a hose shop that can build the hoses you need. The have a no wire hose as well as a single wire hose and two wire hose that are USCG approved.

Blaine

Northcott
11-19-2008, 09:28 PM
I had the same problem with regards to the gen. line. Then it was a main fuel line. Mine were all copper. I just bit the bullet and had every single fuel line changed to the new style hose and now have no worries...

captbuddy
11-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys. Guess I'm OK.
captbuddy

stormchaser
11-20-2008, 06:50 PM
The only time it may become a problem is at the time of survey. Any even half way decent surveyor will flag it and cal it a high priority item...might come back to haunt you at the next insurance survey...if found by the surveyor, there is a good chance the insurance company will want it replaced with an approved hose before issuing another policy.

Fanfare
11-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Sometimes it's wise to leave something easy for the surveyor to find... Otherwise they may feel obligated to write up something (maybe expensive) just to justify their fee.

spartonboat1
11-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Several years ago had some bubba's work on my mains (huge error in judgement), and they broke my genny fuel feed line, replaced same. Doubt they used correct hose...better check after reading this thread.