PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Rebuild

egaito
11-10-2008, 01:41 PM
I posted a few days ago about a regulator issue, which is still hounding us. Runs fine when cold, then slips into an over-charging mode when warmed up.

Rather than just replace the regulator, I'm thinking it might be worth having the whole alternator rebuilt. Since I'm leaving town for an undeterminend amount of time in the AM, I want to leave the boat in a run-able condition, which leads me to some questions:

Is my assumption that each engine alternator's charge is directed to one battery bank?

If I remove the port alternator, is it actually the port bank I'm removing the charge from?

If I pull the belts, secure and tape off the wires to prevent grounding, are there any other considerations toward leaving the boat in an operational state should she have to be moved?

TIA,

Genesis
11-10-2008, 01:55 PM
1. Generally (if OEM), yes.

2. Yes, normally.

3. Nope. And if you have a combiner or AC charger, and its up (e.g. genset running) that bank will get charged. Mechanical Detroits do not reuqire power to run; they will run quite happily with a totally flat battery bank and no DC power whatsoever (this I have taken advantage of when I had a massive short offshore that took out my starboard side electrical several years ago - the engine didn't know what happened, although I had no electrical gauges on that side....)

Boatsb
11-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Ed is there no auto electric shop in the area? I usually bring it in and have it back in a day. Some newer stuff the have on the shelf waiting for you and they only need to add the pulley.

egaito
11-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Ed is there no auto electric shop in the area? I usually bring it in and have it back in a day. Some newer stuff the have on the shelf waiting for you and they only need to add the pulley.

I'm sure there is, and I'm hunting. Florida Detroit Diesel doesn't stock them but gave me someone to try. If I can get one today, great, but I'm heading out in the morning, and Ang will have to plan to take time off to get the part and then scare up some local help to install it (that sucker's big), hence the planning for some down time before I actually remove it.

SKYCHENEY
11-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Belts? My 92 series has the alternator mounted on one of the back accessory gear drives. Maybe you have a different step on Sanctuary, but if not, you will have an open gear drive once you take off the alternator.

egaito
11-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Well, some idiot painted over the ID plates, on both of them...no way to read the numbers off of them that the shop needs to match them up.....

On these engines, they are mounted on the front, with twin belts driving them.

Boatsb
11-10-2008, 03:16 PM
I would pull it and run down to a shop. Chances are a good shop can have you going in 2-3 hours.

egaito
11-10-2008, 04:35 PM
OK, guess what's not made any longer? 32v rebuild parts for Delco alternators!

We're just going to have to take it in, see if it can be repaired, and if not, buy one of the alternatives.

Fortunately, it's not a difficult job to pull it, and it wasn't as heavy as it looked, so it should be pretty easy to get the new one in.

egaito
11-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Anyone ever heard of Leece Neville Alternators? This, and Dixon were mentioned as alternative suppliers for a replacement.

SKYCHENEY
11-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Anyone ever heard of Leece Neville Alternators? This, and Dixon were mentioned as alternative suppliers for a replacement.

We have used Leece Neville on our heavy equipment for years. They are equally as good as the Delco.

Genesis
11-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Those Leece units were on my engines and they're fine.

They're also expensive.

Boatsb
11-10-2008, 05:24 PM
I think they build a better unit than delco.

GJH
11-10-2008, 07:42 PM
I had my port side 32v Delco rebuilt by Best Battery in Baltimore last year. Did you try Lauderdale Alternator? They are right off 84 near Sailorman. Sw 3rd, I think. Good folks.

George
1981 56MY (8v92s same set up as you describe).

egaito
11-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Those Leece units were on my engines and they're fine.

They're also expensive.

Not as much as a new Delco, which is presumably still available for the sum of about $1200. The Leesen is about $450. The rebuilt Delco, were it available, was quoted at $350 by Florida Detroit Diesel.

With a little luck, this one will be repairable for even less.

One thing to be aware of, perhapst to be taken with a grain of salt, is this vendor told me that a lot of rebuilders will use 24v parts to rebuild the 32v alternators, reducing the lifespan of those reman units. If you find one in stock, chances are this is what you're looking at and if someone rebuilds yours, it's a question worth asking.

Angela
11-11-2008, 03:34 PM
I just got home with the new alternator. I got the Leece, new, $435 out the door. I also still have my old Delco in case we get bored one day and decide to see if we can repair it and keep it as a spare. Somehow, I don't think we'll ever get around to that!

That's the good news. The bad news is that Ed left this afternoon for home, back in Atlanta, so the re-install of this new alternator is my baby now. I've never done one of these, but Ed walked me through it before he left, so hopefully, I'll get to put a new notch in my hat (more like a bump on my head!) if I can accomplish this. But first, I need to paint it white and paint the belt cover and anything else I can get to while the alternator is off.

jim rosenthal
11-11-2008, 03:41 PM
I would highly recommend Mamock's Motor Electric, in Annapolis, for the rebuild, if you can get the unit up here. You can also ship it to me if you wish and I will take it to them. They have been at this for thirty years and know quite well what they are doing.
Installing the alternator should not be difficult; the important things are to get the wires back on the right terminals, the mountings secure, and the belt tension correct. I would shut the battery switch off on that side while you are doing this, or better yet disconnect the battery hot cable until you have it all back together. Did I leave anything out?

Boatsb
11-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Right on the battery terminal. Some boats had a PO bypass the switch and running a wire from the alternator to the battery making for a surprise if you are not careful.

Bob Bradley
11-11-2008, 04:28 PM
OK, guess what's not made any longer? 32v rebuild parts for Delco alternators!

We're just going to have to take it in, see if it can be repaired, and if not, buy one of the alternatives.

Fortunately, it's not a difficult job to pull it, and it wasn't as heavy as it looked, so it should be pretty easy to get the new one in.

I used to get old Chris Craft electrical parts from a company called "Obsolete Parts, Inc". I dealt with Neil. They even had obscure things like distributor springs for my 1957 Hercules Model K flat head 6 engines. Not sure if they still exist or not, but the last phone # I have for them is 513-731-4134.

MikeP
11-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Concur with Jim's advice re Mamocks in Annapolis - good guys and fun to talk to!

http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/happy/happy0034.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-unhappy-smileys.php)

Mike36c
11-12-2008, 09:17 AM
I've used Vic's DC Electric in Stuart (772-220-8952) several times, he knows/has just about everything and does fine work.

egaito
11-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Right on the battery terminal. Some boats had a PO bypass the switch and running a wire from the alternator to the battery making for a surprise if you are not careful.

I thought about this in an effort to avoid a "how to remove welded wrench from block" post, and tested the circuit before and after turning the switch off. No voltage with the switch off.

Now, hopefully, with the offer of a beer, a dockmate will help lift it into place.