PDA

View Full Version : Goldenrod Dehumidifier Sticks

whaler23
11-08-2008, 10:15 AM
There is an old thread that mentioned these things, however, it focused primarily on keeping food crisp. How do they do in staterooms, bilges and such on keeping humidity down and must odors to a minimum, especially when the boat's been closed up for a couple of weeks. Last night when I got to the boat after two weeks i smelled the normal nice old wood boat smell that we have but a slight mustiness and when we crawled under the sheets in the master stateroom my wife commented on how they felt slightly chilled and damp. I keep a couple of port lights cracked open in the heads just for ventilation but want to minimize the musty/dampy issues. Nice to still be boating on the Chesapeake in Novmber, I've nearly got her convinced to come down all winter, not quite there yet though:)

SKYCHENEY
11-08-2008, 11:17 AM
I have seen these in the crisper cabinet and in closets and inside of the flybridge. I think they need to be in a closed area to really work.

Finalee
11-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I have them in my stateroom closets where I hang my suits. They do a great job.

REBrueckner
11-08-2008, 03:55 PM
They are nothing more than an electric heating element...too small for open spaces like cabins...

the only way to dehumidfy is to use one..

Trojan
11-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Place styrofoam plates with charcoal chips in the room on the floor or counters when your gone. It will remove the odors. But not the moisture. Dehumidifier is required to remove the moisture.

BIL

Ernie Piotrowski
11-09-2008, 07:19 PM
I( use three of the golden rods in my 32' FBSF. A small one in the head and two large ones in cabin. One at the foot of the v-berth and one near the step or the cabin door. They have worked great! No musty smell at all.
Re the berth cushions, I have installed HyperVent under the v-berth cushions over a year ago and have it to be most effective in keeping the cushions dry.
The link is: www.hyperventmarine.com. If you have any questions, just ask.

Sparky1
11-10-2008, 02:27 PM
They are nothing more than an electric heating element...too small for open spaces like cabins...

the only way to dehumidfy is to use one..I would agree with this statement having sold Golden Rods for over 25 years to use in gun safes to prevent rust. They are simply low amperage tubular heaters with nothing more than a loop of wire inside.

In a small enclosed area, such as a safe, they simply move air. I have however used the larger (longer) versions in my ER by placing them directly onto the exhaust manifolds of gas engines to prevent freezing during the winter. The advantages are low amperage, no thermostats, and no possibility of sparks.