PDA

View Full Version : Grease on the dock

divers4ever
10-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Does anyone know how to remove grease from a composite dock? We have had mechanics working in our engine room, and they got huge grease spots on the composite dock that we are renting. The dock owners are going to have a HUGE problem with that one!

Finalee
10-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Lots of elbow grease. Zep made an orange cleaner we used in the garage bays that was so powerfull it would take the moisture out of your skin if not removed quick enough. That was 10 years ago. It was environmentally friendly , so maybe is still around. We would hand out cupfulls on a regular basis to customers. Firestone used to have a National account with them for cleaners. Might give the local store a call.

captddis
10-10-2008, 10:23 PM
I have had good luck using the cream go jo hand cleaner. Rub it on and let soak and it lifts the grease up. The black diesel oil is harder to get up.

Or turn the dock planks over.

whaler23
10-11-2008, 04:41 AM
From my Trex deck information packet:

Spot removers or mineral spirits may be used carefully on stubborn grease or oil stains but should be washed off quickly with water, as it can damage the grain pattern. Spot removers normally include petroleum distillates, xylene, methanol, acetone, or other organic solvents. Use caution if the composite lumber has embedded color, as some solvents may affect the appearance. As always, test your cleaner on an inconspicuous spot.

Hope your boat looks better than the dock...

Boatsb
10-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Try hand cleaner. I have take greas out of most anything with the Gojo Orange with pumice.

Westfield 11
10-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Does anyone know how to remove grease from a composite dock? We have had mechanics working in our engine room, and they got huge grease spots on the composite dock that we are renting. The dock owners are going to have a HUGE problem with that one!

Aren't the mechanics responsible for cleaning up their own mess? If the dock owners freak out and demand replacement should not the one's who made the mess pay the bill? How would this be different from dumping grease on the carpet in the salon? One would expect them to pay for that, so why not this?

divers4ever
10-11-2008, 02:37 PM
The mechanics are responsible. We called him last night and told him what his guys had done, and he already knew. He said that he would replace the planks if that's what needed to be done. The problem is that it's a holiday weekend - and seeing that NOBODY works on weekends, nevermind holidays - nothing is going to get done until next week. So, we are trying to remedy the situation before the dock owners catch wind of it and go apes&$t on us. The dock owners have problems with everything. They are a nightmare to work with. Can't wait to get out of here!

Vincentc
10-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Expanding somewhat on the "Hints from Heloise",
I have used Prestone Hand Cleaner, a white cream that comes in a plastic tub, and sold at Auto Zone, to remove black grease stains on the white berber carpet in the salon. Climbing in and out of the ER, it is hard not to leave balck oil spots on the carpet.

I rubbed the hand cleaner into the spot, then added a little water soaking the carpet in the area of the black spot and vacuumed it dry with the shop vac. It works where all else failed. The hand cleaner does not remove the spot until you add water.