PDA

View Full Version : Rule 2000 GPH electronic bilge pump problem

Capt. Tobb
08-22-2008, 05:35 PM
In late May I installed a new Rule electronic bilge pump after the float switch for the old one was getting stuck. I liked the idea of not having a seperate component that can go bad. The new pump worked like a charm, turning on every minuite or so and only running when there was water. Yesterday I noticed that my bilge water was higher than it should be. The pump still would turn on every minuite or so but would not continue to run, I had to turn on the manual switch and it pumped the water out just fine. Has anyone had any similar problems? I cant see how this problem could be anything other than the pump. I am getting a new one and returning the bad one. Should I go back to the float switch?

Pascal
08-22-2008, 06:34 PM
well i like the idea of being able to troubleshoot and see if it's either the pump or the switch... so i stick to Rule pumps with separate Rule switches. it's usually the switch, i keep a spare, a few minutes to fix.

Dustoff44
08-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Rule switches work great until you get them wet. Better to use them as a high water back up rather than a primary switch in a wet location... Recommend the Ultra switch. ( 4 years in service with no problems or failures ) Also 58YF owner..IMHO

Brian Degulis
08-23-2008, 08:55 PM
When you turned it on manualy did it work right away or did it have to run a while? It sounds like your pump might have been air locked?

Brian

Capt. Tobb
08-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks guys....Brian, it would work right away in manual. Today I replaced with a new one and everything works fine, I (ass)ume and hope I just had a bad apple.

Banshee36
08-30-2008, 09:49 PM
The electronic pumps are problematic. Just send them back to rule and they will send you a new one. On my old boat they seemd to work fine for a fdew months then quit.
JW

MikeP
08-31-2008, 05:41 AM
I had one for a while on my old boat - same problem. I don't use them at all on the Hatt - as noted, I just replace the cr@ppy rule switches periodically. I keep meaning to replace the pump switches with the Ultra switches but I've been saying I'm going to do that for the past 5 years and every time I go to their site, the prices have gone up again! I should just admit that I'm never going to do it! ;)

Dustoff44
08-31-2008, 01:42 PM
5 cheap Rule switches vs cost of a reliable Ultra switch. Flooding ( heavy rain flybridge leaks badly) in the Generator compartment due to a failed Rule switch cost me over $ 1000 to replace the water damaged voltage regulator... suddenly the Ultra switches became less expensive relatively speaking. My source for the comment that " Rule switches will not last if they get wet" was a Rule tech rep at The Seattle boat show. 2006

krush
08-31-2008, 10:43 PM
I've had pretty good luck with cheap attwood or worst marine float switches.