Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Re: Bar rebuild, afromsia, formica, thoughts, questions

I finally got back to work. Yachtsmanbill was making me look bad. I had to accomplish something this weekend. First, I installed that infamous black leather laminate and reinstalled the wood lee rail. Then I put those new wheels on the port pilothouse door. The next day I reluctantly started on the headliner installation. Luckily another HOF member stopped by and helped the Admiral and I with this job. Mark (AirPilot) was a great help. Even though it took us all day to install the first piece, the next few went up in only a few hours. The problem with the forward piece of headliner was that it had to be fitted around the overhead console. No matter how we tried and heated and pulled, we just could not get all of the wrinkles out. Our persistence paid off, however, as we finally made it look right even though I think we pulled more staples than we set if that is possible. Here's a few pics of the process:

This first pic is of the little mini-Trol pressure tank that is hooked up to my water line going to the windshield washers. I have never seen one that small. I wonder why Hatteras thought that was necessary.

The next pic is of the first piece of headliner starting to go up (the tough one)

The third shows AirPilot and my Admiral trying to figure this thing out.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

More pics:

This one is the before one the first piece.

And a couple of after

Sky Cheney

Heres the second piece going up. Notice the wood batton strip is in place.

Here is the completed pilothouse. I just need to add the hideum strip around the edge.

The seams didn't come out too bad either.

Sky Cheney

NICE JOB SKY !! Count your blessings that the admiral helps out like that! I think this year I am only gonna do the headliner in the punishment room which is only 49" wide and 84" long... pretty straightforward. I like the battens! Did you nail those in? On my Roamer, I stapled to the beams, and trim battened them with 1/4" X 2" teak strips. I had a guy sew the seams and we fought that; I can relate!
    Why use the Hidem? I made nice teak 3/4" 1/4 rounds for the corners which also facilitates pulling a corner down if you need to access anything above. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Bill,
    Nice thought on the 1/4 round, but I only have the pilothouse area that needs any covering. The rest of the salon has valances that cover the edges. Plus, there are curved areas in the PH and I don't think I could bend the 1/4 round to that radius.

And, yes, the battens are nailed in.
    Sky Cheney

Yeh SKY I see that now. Other than laminating teak strips for the curve, youd hafta cut curves out of plank on the band saw. ANOTHER project! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

Oh, but Bill, what would the judges think of that? OEM was with a hideum strip. I just can't deviate from original. After all, my goal is to wake up someday and actually convince myself that it's 1985 again and that I just bought a brand new Hatteras.
    Sky Cheney

Ah yes...Don't forget the judges. Sky, you need to buy one of those steamers. The one you want is available at Target. It is made by "Scunci". It is cheap and works for lots of stuff. I used that to remove the wrinkles from our cornice board re-cover. Just get the steam coming out and wave it back and forth over the wrinkles. You will be amased how they disappear. They will not return. Neat gadget with many other uses.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Oh, but Bill, what would the judges think of that? OEM was with a hideum strip. I just can't deviate from original. After all, my goal is to wake up someday and actually convince myself that it's 1985 again and that I just bought a brand new Hatteras.

When you see the judges with clip boards speaking in private and nodding in agreement youll know. Some judges are sticklers (purists) for OEM, but the guys from the 80's appreciate custom handiwork! ;-)
    I missed my headliner buy on edog last night; bummer. Did you manage to buy a piece, or did you hafta buy a whole roll? I need a piece 8 feet long. Damn the judges! I may have to make a hard headliner for the punishment room. The new head will definitely be a rigid one. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Sky,

NICE JOB on the headliner! Keep posting pics -- between you and Bill I get to have a great job checking in on The Forum and getting my Hatteras fix!!

Jack