Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Galley maid windlass upgrade

My neighbor saw me torquing on the windlass clutch nut this weekend and alerted me to a problem in which the tightening can force the main snap ring out of its slot on the vertical shaft. Apparently there is a retrofit part from Ideal that installs over the snap ring and prevents it from expanding and working free of the slot. I’ve ordered it ($61) and just wanted to make others aware of its existence for the next time you replace clutch plates.

Re: Galley maid windlass upgrade

Is there a part number please?. Its not shown on Ideal website. I'd like one.

When I receive it I will post a pic and part number. The person at Ideal also didn’t see a part number initially but found it with a little work. Pretty sure it wasn’t a part of the original design.

Pics attached. Will add install pics as well this weekend.

Why are you putting an Ideal part on a GalleyMaid windlass?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks for the photo. The part is exactly what I needed. Just after I purchased the boat a couple of years ago I disassembled the above deck components and ordered some parts, including the nut, new wildcat, springs, clutch and CirClip from Galley Maid.

Unfortunately I did not get/install a big washer (Part #22) that sits under the CirClip protecting the base of the clutch plate. When the large nut was tightened down, the Lower Clutch plate base has bitten into the CirClip and now the Lower Clutch plate can not be removed. (Its free moving and loose so its not seized to to the shaft. GM does not have an answer.)

The winch works fine, but the major problem will arise when the winch shaft needs to be serviced. I can only see it resolved using an angle grinder or electric blade to cut the lower clutch plate away from the shaft.

IMG_4248.jpg

Here are the parts diagrams from the BBHW winch:

Abovedeck.JPG

Belowdeck.jpg
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 06-26-2018 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Why are you putting an Ideal part on a GalleyMaid windlass?
    The galley maid is a nearly identical windlass, basically a ripoff of the ideal. The ideal is superior in that it has a thrust bearing that allows it to power both up and down without damage. The galley maid cannot. Additionally, I learned that it is possible to over torque the captan and force the retaining ring from its slot. This then pulls the shaft upwards from the gearbox and puts additional pressure on the gears.

I'm told that this ideal part (which is a retrofit for them as well) will eliminate the ability for that retaining clip to spread and pop out of place. Sounds good to me.

Scott in Sydney- I had the same problem with the clutch. The shaft is soft bronze and subject to galling from the spinning clutch. This galling can also be a problem if you have keys/key ways that are not properly matched. Unfortunately, a Sawzall and big hammer are the only solution. If you are lucky enough not to cut into the shaft, make sure that you clean off any burrs, nicks, etc before reassembly. To be safe, I had new shaft key ways cut at 180 degrees from the original ones.