Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Outrigger finish

Quote Originally Posted by luckydave215 View Post
    When I said nothing works for long, I wasn't considering painting them.
    That is unlikely to work for long, once the aluminum has chloride ion penetration due to exposure to saltwater there is no was to un-do it and paint will soon bubble due to corrosion underneath the paint.
    As far as taking them down to give them a regular polish and wax - sure, that will work. But mine are 48', it takes three guys and hour to get them off the boat and two to reinstall..
    I recently rebuilt mine (all new wires etc) and polished them in the process. They looked like I hadn't touched them a month later.
    I have a similar situation: They are triple spreader and maybe 39' so very difficult to get at to regularly keep them polished. They are "Pipe Welders" as well as the tuna tower and are not pitted, just dull. She's on the hard now and I will be painting the hull from the rub rails down and would like to do something to the outriggers while I'm at it. I'd like to paint them but worried what the flexing will do to the paint. EMC makes a spray 2 part (mixed during the delivery from the can - weird!). I'll be using their Quantum 99 on the hull.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
    Merry Christmas!!
    FINATIC

Wouldn't paint them, there's a ton more labor in painting than refinishing the way we did it. Going to be really hard to keep the paint on between aluminum not painting well, expansion and contraction, constant flexing, nicks and abrasion outriggers take. Also, once you go down the paint route it's forever.
    Did see a pair that were taken apart and then sent to be " re-anodized ". Wasn't impressed with the final result, especially for what it cost them.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

You guys must have an enormous amount of time on your hands. With the possible exception of Lucky Dave and his abnormally clean and well maintained boat, I have a difficult time believing that you all have your boats so ship shape that you are now worried about how shiny your outriggers are.

Side note: The tuna don't care; trust me I know. Besides, tarnish is far easier to maintain than shine.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    You guys must have an enormous amount of time on your hands. With the possible exception of Lucky Dave and his abnormally clean and well maintained boat, I have a difficult time believing that you all have your boats so ship shape that you are now worried about how shiny your outriggers are.

Side note: The tuna don't care; trust me I know. Besides, tarnish is far easier to maintain than shine.

LOL--- when I started reading this I thought, "man,I wonder if I'll ever be to the point I can polish my outriggers?" So far down the priority list

My Riggers are pretty new and in good shape I just wax them each year.
    But I think that everbrite protectant would work nice on my polished aluminium engine beds

So Bob are you going to pick on me if I do that
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Some people a polishing their beat up riggers and then using a 2 part clear ceramic coating, not sure if it's sprayed on or brushed. We had our riggers professionally coated with a ceramic coating and they turned milky after a few years, not sure if freezing temperature had something to do with it or not, it was hard to get it off when we re-finshed them.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

If I ever have a new top made, I'm getting it made from stainless. Don't care how much more it costs.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post

So Bob are you going to pick on me if I do that

Or if you don't, for that matter.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Rupp Aluma Guard or Sheila Shine. If salt free and dry just wipe down. Easy and protects metal.

Seriously, Mothers aluminum polish does a great job.