Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

does diesel go bad

i have the chance to get 300 gallons of diesel for free. it has been sitting for about 8 years. is it worth getting? what should i add to it if i do get it? if i do get it i will filter it before putting it in the boat, and i will seperate it between the three tanks. anything else ? help me make my decision. any help would be appreciated. bigbill

Re: does diesel go bad

Tough to say without seeing it. It will probably burn without too much trouble if you blend it with fresh fuel and dose it with some cetane booster (Stanadyne Performance Formula is my favorite). If you can look at a sample see how brown it is, the clearer the better. A lot depends on how it was stored. i.e. in an underground tank at a relatively constant temperature is much better than a steel tank in the sun. You should also be on the lookout for water and bacteria.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Diesel is significantly more stable than gasoline, however there are a few things you must be wary of in accepting old stock.

Cetane loss
    Water
    Asphetine formation
    Bacterial contamination
    Other particulate contamination.

These can be adequately addressed with tight micron filtration and water seperation. Be prepared to go through a lot of filters. Better yet, hire a fuel polisher to come out and do it. Cetane loss can be restored via enhancers such as Diesel Kleen.

I assume you have Detroits and if so, you'll probably be ok. Don't try this with modern common rail engines as they have a much lower tolerance for poor quality fuel.

I had a similar opportunity a few years back. I filtered the old fuel and burned it in my furnace at the house. My thinking was it just was not worth the risk of feeding questionable fuel in a boat with family & friends on board.
    Last edited by Passages; 07-29-2008 at 09:22 AM.

No problem Run it through a fast fitration system like 4-5 GPM and 2 micron flters shake it up reall good. Then add an enzym biocide and a good cetane booster. It will be better than what you get out of the pump.

Brian

hey passages, i have 2003 john deere 450hp engines. where do i get these chemicals from? please give me a name brand, not the chemical name. if i do this i will probably mix the old fuel about 25% to 75% new fuel, this should help also. bigbill

Wal*Mart is where you can find Diesel Kleen. Look for the grey bottle not the white. (White is cold weather anti-gel)

Stanadyne metioned by Scrod is also well regarded but cost more. I believe it can be found at NAPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    Stanadyne metioned by Scrod is also well regarded but cost more. I believe it can be found at NAPA.
    If you find it at NAPA I'd like to know about it. Stanadyne is only supposed to be sold by Stanadyne dealers.

That's not to say that NAPA isn't buying it from a dealer and re-selling it, but they'd probably have to mark it up over what a dealer would sell it for.

If you want to use the Stanadyne you can call Power Products Division at 1-800-842-2496 or go to www.stanadyne.com and use the dealer locator. BTW, Stanadyne is specifically recommended by John Deere.

Hmm, maybe I should consider a career in sales....

*Disclaimer: Yes, I do have an affiliation with Stanadyne. But if you use DieselKleen I won't be offended
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

8. Re: does diesel go bad

Bill, two simple thoughts:
    (1) take a sample and send it out for analysis, just like lube oil...don't take a chance...
    (2) when drawing off the fuel, filter it and pump it though a visible section so you can observe and filter what you are putting into your boat.

300 gallons will not be pleasing if it turns out to be shot!!!!
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Good advice on sampling it. The major items you look for are sediment (visual), water presence (paper test), and flash point test (special equipment). I wouldn't put it in my tanks until a fuel quality lab runs a 30 minute test. Finding a local lab might be a problem.
    Good luck
    Skip
    Mad Hatteras
    53 MY

I drink because of Navy football

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    If you find it at NAPA I'd like to know about it. Stanadyne is only supposed to be sold by Stanadyne dealers.

If you want to use the Stanadyne you can call Power Products Division at 1-800-842-2496 or go to www.stanadyne.com and use the dealer locator.

*Disclaimer: Yes, I do have an affiliation with Stanadyne. But if you use DieselKleen I won't be offended
    Sounds like Stanadyne is living in the stone-ages of marketing/distribution.