Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fuel burn on a 53 W/871TI?

Im looking at a 53 extended cabin and im thinking about taking her through the Panama Canal and im hoping someone out there can give some info thanks in advance!!

Re: Fuel burn on a 53 W/871TI?

Not sure on a 53 but on my 63 with twin 12v71tis running with one generator purring I get around 0.8 mpg at hull displacement speed which is 1100 rpm at 8 to 10kts per hour depending on currents and wind
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

A gallon per mile at 9 knots seems to be the feeling of most on the forum. I have natural injectors in my TI’s and we do a little better than that but it is close enough for planning purposes. Does not include the gen set, don’t understand why you would run a genset while underway unless you require Air con. Anything else except cooking can be handled by a good inverter. My 1 cent. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Maybe this will help. Check out page 5.

http://www.hatterasowners.com/Brochu...53EDA-0083.htm
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Those NMPG look like they're for a new boat with little fuel, water, furniture, tools, etc. A 53MY with 8v71TIs burns about 1.0 Gal/NM at hull speed 9.1 knots, with a clean bottom and normal fuel, water, etc. However, it burns about 2.1 gal/NM at 2100 RPM and 17 to 18 knots on plane. Running in waves reduces fuel burn some.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Maybe this will help. Check out page 5.

http://www.hatterasowners.com/Brochu...53EDA-0083.htm

9 to 10 GPH at 9 to 9.2 kts above that and fuel burn skyrocket as you can see in the charts linked above

I m not sure I understand how running in waves reduces fuel burn or did you mean reduce fuel economy? Every boat I ve run with flow meters show a 10 to 15% fuel increase once you get out in waves or swells

As to a trip to the left coast via the canal it’s doable with careful fuel planning and plenty of time. I ve never done it but believe there can be delays thru the canal for pleasure vessels. Usually better tomship the boat
    Last edited by Pascal; 07-17-2018 at 02:16 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Nonchalant1 View Post
    Those NMPG look like they're for a new boat with little fuel, water, furniture, tools, etc. A 53MY with 8v71TIs burns about 1.0 Gal/NM at hull speed 9.1 knots, with a clean bottom and normal fuel, water, etc. However, it burns about 2.1 gal/NM at 2100 RPM and 17 to 18 knots on plane. Running in waves reduces fuel burn some.
    Yes, it was a boat test on a new boat, but the parameters are clearly stated with "7/8 fuel and 7/8 water and two people onboard with minimal equipment". Furniture would have obviously been what came with the boat, and I'm sure no tools were onboard.

Maybe that's inspiration for other owners not to load their boat up with so much crap.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

You don't need to carry a ton of stuff on a boat. I've seen boats so cluttered the staterooms are storage lockers and there's no room for working. Kind of like the hoarders on tv.

If I were given the chance to cruise to and through the canal I'd jump at it. It's not the destination it's the journey. What a great trip. Its not impossible and there's a blog on the site by a member who did it with a 60 or 65c.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

A bad example
    Attached Images
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    A gallon per mile at 9 knots seems to be the feeling of most on the forum. I have natural injectors in my TI’s and we do a little better than that but it is close enough for planning purposes. Does not include the gen set, don’t understand why you would run a genset while underway unless you require Air con. Anything else except cooking can be handled by a good inverter. My 1 cent. John
    Mine is about the same John.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California