Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: bugs !!!!!

bugs !!!!!

Any help would be greatly I am on lake Michigan and spray my lines weekly and still have bugs
    on the boat I use regular bug killer and don't want to use anything that will damage the paint or other parts of the boat any input would be great !!!!

Re: bugs !!!!!

Bump. Im curious also. I spray all nooks and cranies every week but there are still some bugs.

Sprinkle Boric acid powder around boat and docks. I mix with water and use pump sprayer.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Lightbulb bugs !!!!!

Ortho Home Defense. Spray everything. Done. No more bugs or spiders!

You'll have to re-spray after each boat wash.
    Hard work pays off in the future.
    Laziness, pays off now!

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Ortho Home Defense. Spray everything. Done. No more bugs or spiders!

You'll have to re-spray after each boat wash.
    agree them little criters can hide good. The worst are them DARN ants

B sure to spray all ropes that attach to the dock soak them and about 1 foot toward the boat.

I use the one that attaches to the hose just makes life simple.

I don't like spray killers, so I use the Terro ant bait (boric acid), and put Roach Motels in various spots around the boat. Flip them over after 3 weeks, and replace every 6 weeks; they catch all kinds of little critters. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I rarely see a bug loose in the boat.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Quote Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
    I don't like spray killers, so I use the Terro ant bait (boric acid), and put Roach Motels in various spots around the boat. Flip them over after 3 weeks, and replace every 6 weeks; they catch all kinds of little critters. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I rarely see a bug loose in the boat.
    Recently had a professional exterminator on the boat just to make sure; I had noticed termites on a neighboring dock. He sprayed everywhere; I opened up accesses that I'd never opened before. His comment when done, "I never even saw a dead roach."

I like the boric acid because it's very safe around people and pets; you can apply it by sprinkling, spraying or puffing; it's cheap; it's broad spectrum; there is no odor, and it never loses its potency. I've always applied boric acid powder at home and haven't used an exterminator in decades. Having lived in Charleston where the term cockroach is frowned upon in polite company in favor of the more quaint sounding, Palmetto Bug, I applied it around the foundations and saw an immediate result. The wet climate means you have to stay up with it, though.

The only reapplications are typically with dock lines and fenders when it rains. I keep a small gas grill on the dock and spray all round it regularly. My neighbors appreciate my spraying around them. That's good insurance as that's the pathway to my boat. The stuff needs to be well mixed in a cup of hot water and poured in after the water or your sprayer nozzle will clog.

You can also put a pinch in the wash with bed linens to take are of mites and other stuff we don't like to talk about. Remember 20 Mule Team Borax?

I live near Aiken, SC. It's in the sand hills and we've got our quota of rattle snakes. Nothing gets your attention like a rattler or maybe working under the house and pulling out old skins next to the water heater. A few years back I applied the boric acid pretty heavily around and under the house. I know of no literature that validates the use of boric acid for rattle snakes. I also know of plenty of rattlers around the farm but none around the house now.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Tks for info so spraying ortho on paint will not harm

Robert, A good snake repellent around your home/property is Rotenone dust. Years ago we used it on several jobs for that purpose. It should be available cheap at most garden shops as well as HD or Lowes. Safe, cheap, effective and easy to use.

Walt

Lightbulb bugs !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by major hattitude View Post
    Tks for info so spraying ortho on paint will not harm
    Ortho Home Defense will not harm much of anything, except bugs, earwigs & spiders!

Good luck!
    Hard work pays off in the future.
    Laziness, pays off now!