Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

12V71tic Injector Timing: What are you doing?

My motors are Covingtons rated at 850HP originally equipped with 9215 injectors and a specified 1.496" timing height. At some point, a PO installed M15's. Someone penciled in a timing height of 1.508" in my book. I do not know who or when or if that value was for the original injectors or the M15's.

While setting the valves, I noted a couple of the injectors were timed at about 1.495". I've got 1.484, 1.496 and 1.508 gauges on hand.

The motors run fine. Once I get back to the boat this week, I'll likely just make sure they're all the same. What are you other 12V71tic owners using as a timing value if you're running M15 injectors?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: 12V71tic Injector Timing: What are you doing?

There is an actual book that lists the settings for each injector, I have seen it. But it's very hard to find. That is a perfect question for the boatdiesel forum. Member Ron Sparks I believe has the book.
    Capt. TJ Karbowski
    Rock & Roll Charters
    Clinton, CT
    www.rockandrollcharters.com

Robert, my 12v71 TA's just had the valves and Injectors adjusted and my mechanic set them at 1.508 which is where he says "Covington set them"

Quote Originally Posted by 86Hat41 View Post
    There is an actual book that lists the settings for each injector, I have seen it. But it's very hard to find. That is a perfect question for the boatdiesel forum. Member Ron Sparks I believe has the book.
    I have a contact number for Ron if you want to call him, very personable and knowledgeable

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    I have a contact number for Ron if you want to call him, very personable and knowledgeable
    That is very kind of you. Perhaps a PM?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    Robert, my 12v71 TA's just had the valves and Injectors adjusted and my mechanic set them at 1.508 which is where he says "Covington set them"
    That’s what I show on paper. In reality they are timed earlier. It’s run too good too long to just blindly make a change.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    That’s what I show on paper. In reality they are timed earlier. It’s run too good too long to just blindly make a change.
    Mine were set at that when I purchased