Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Air Starters?

Air Starters?

Do bigger boats use air starters? I wouldn't mind trading 500+ lbs of expensive and relatively short lived batteries for an air tank and maybe a generator driven compressor in our humble 43' DC. One or two Group 31s instead of four (starting) 8Ds, that would be nice. Obviously it's not practical, why is that?

Re: Air Starters?

I was working on a 115 foot crew boat with 3 3412 cats and air starters. 2 generators and 2 compressors for them. It's more efficient to use electric in our boats.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

You don't need 8Ds to start the boat. You could use group 31s as I do to start my 8-71s. If you have 3208s, VT370s or 6-71s you likely have 41MT Starters they about 1,800 cold cranking amps (CCA). Two G31s, 1,000 CCA, would do it, I use three.

Wrestling with 8 volt batteries is the main reason I got away from 32 volt DC equipment.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

One 8D Heavy Duty will easily start 6-71Ns - but having two will give you extra starting capacity if the weather is very cold. Having two for the house bank also gives you more capacity.

The first 63 Monterey “Glass Machine” used air start for the 12/92’s there were a series of scuba tanks that held the air. That boat also had pneumatic controls for shifting and throttles. It all worked pretty well.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

A single 8d is more powerful than 3 group 24 batteries that fit I the same space. I haven't done a comparison to 3 group 31s

I have. Started my boat with a pair of group 31s and it worked but a single 8d was spinning it much faster. I have 8v53s. For tge once in 3 or 4 years I change them it's not worth rewiring the starter bank cables.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Pick your poison. Big tanks with 100psi. Small tanks with higher pressure. I'm pretty sure the air start will require more space than the batteries. They work well in certain situations.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I bet seatow doesn't have a jump pack for air start
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Pick your poison. Big tanks with 100psi. Small tanks with higher pressure. I'm pretty sure the air start will require more space than the batteries. They work well in certain situations.
    That’s why they used hi pressure tanks used a scuba compressor to fill them. But you still need batteries for house and generators.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    That’s why they used hi pressure tanks used a scuba compressor to fill them.

I think a 2000psi+ air compressor, piping, and tanks takes up more space than a few batteries.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381