Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Navy crash and blow boaters

Well, someone or someones didn't do what they were supposed to. The worst part is the lives lost.. and then the careers ended and gone, and the ship all smashed up. They can repair the ship. The rest of it all is not retrievable, any gate.

The navy crashes ships way too often. Perhaps they need to put a few merchant marines on the bridge?

Terrible to read that the 7 bodies were found in the flooded sections of the ship. The whole thing ridiculous.

The internet says navy doesn't broadcast AIS, but does monitor. A navy ship has tons of people on the bridge (5-10+) compared to a merchant ship (potentially as few as 2, unless one is in the head).

Most merchant ship driver officers spent 4 years learning all about ship driving. The CO and likely many of the officers on the the navy ship studied history in college---something I never understood.

RIP for those that were killed.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

At the rate the crash pumps are flowing seems fortunate the boat didn't sink. One also must wonder if stealth played a roll and the cargo ship couldn't see the destroyer on radar? Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Don't know which one is worst... the navy destroyer getting rammed by a container ship or the Nantucket fast ferry landing on the jetty. I guess the destroyer is worst but that ferry captain has some explaining to do. For those not familiar with Hyannis you have to make an 60 degree turn into the channel. This guy kept going straight for almost half a mile before hitting the jetty and almost punching thru.

AIS plots shows he was doing 34kts when he missed the turn.

I like the "checkered flag" at the finish line.
    Regards
    Dan

I to used to be officer in charge of running navy ships, one day coming into San Diego harbor we were in the channel doing about 8 knots and a sailboat was running right next to us when he suddenly made a 90 degree turn right into us. His mast caught on our catwalk along the flight deck and we were pulling him sideways through the water at 8 knots. The mast finally broke and hit the leg of one of the guys onboard(retired Air Force officer). I understand they got a nice check from the US Goverment.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

It may be just an illusion caused by the camera angles, but in the pictures I have seen it looks like there is a kink in the hull just where it was struck by the container ship. The platform/framework at the stern also looks like it is not parallel to the waterline and the windows on the bridge don't seem to be aligned with the main deck: were they before the incident? Could she have a broken back or is this just so thing caused by taking digital photos......?

Here's some pictures of the ferry at the yard: http://www.thehulltruth.com/10382117-post50.html

From an operational point of view, it appears that the other ship was the "stand on" vessel so the destroyer, as the "give way" vessel should have taken the initiative to avoid it. When you add to the fact that the destroyer was, by far, the more agile vessel, it could have avoided the collision much easier regardless of who was the stand-on vessel.

EVEN if the destroyer had been the stand on vessel, obviously (I hope) the duty officer on board the destroyer would have ordered some immediate maneuver had he/she been aware of the proximity of the other vessel. I cannot believe that anyone would have stood there, seeing a MUCH larger ship on a collision course, and said "Maintain course and speed! Don't worry, WE have the right of way!"

So clearly there was a serious failure of the folks on watch - whether they were viewing data displays or physically looking out...surely we still have people stationed to actually LOOK outside, right? Or maybe the watch standers reported and the OD elected not to do anything. That's a pretty scary scenario.

It will be interesting to hear the final report on the links in the chain that caused this to occur. Like most such incidents, there is usually several things that "went wrong." Typically if one of the links in the "went wrong" chain had been broken, the situation and, in this case, the death of 7 sailors could have been avoided.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    So clearly there was a serious failure of the folks on watch - whether they were viewing data displays or physically looking out...surely we still have people stationed to actually LOOK outside, right?
    Some similarities with the CG 43' that hit the Stono River Bridge near me in Feb. Six crewmen, all the modern aids imaginable, clear night, bridge lit, no traffic, no seas and a stationary bridge--WHAM. How does that happen? Wonder if it'll come down to youth and inexperience? The coasties were all really young.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    --WHAM. How does that happen? Wonder if it'll come down to youth and inexperience? The coasties were all really young.
    Stop this nonsense. It is because of INCOMPETENCE. One can be young, and just have a slight amount of experience, and still be competent. Experience and wisdom are more important in abnormal situations.

It takes very little skill to avoid collision with a freighter. It takes very little skill to not hit a stationary bridge (tons of idiot pleasure boaters don't crash into the bridge every day).

Both the navy and coastguard crash were in fair weather conditions.

Gee, imagine if we tried to go to the moon today.