Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: First time winterizing myself

If he has aluminum tanks what harm will there be leaving them full with ethanol gas? The AVgas sounds like a good idea for the remainder of the fuel system. Are there additional concerns with using ethanol fuels?
    Jack Sardina

Ethanol is hydroscopic and dries seals and o rings. It's not great for any tank and If a bunch of water gets in an aluminum tank it can do some damage.

If you have not been using ethanol free fuel you may have issues. It has been found in florida that some fuel was up to 40% ethanol. Too bad I didn't know before I blew the engine in my car on that crap.

If you can fill it with ethanol free fuel. Its slightly more expensive here but not the cost of av gas. If you have e10 you need to treat it properly. I also add a few ounces of 100:1 amsoil 2 cycle to my motorcycle tank to keep the rubber parts supple.

When you winterize the engines you may want to use a small fuel tank with ethanol free fuel and run the old stuff out before you winterize. It will allow less crud to form in the carb.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Saltshaker the inlet is fine and the bay is clear now and well marked at least around the lighthouse and across the bay but there are some shallow spots. My alarm went off a couple of times when I wandered to the outside edge of the Oyster Creek channel on my way to Waretown and Holiday Harbor to be hauled for the winter. This is a particularly shallow area and high tide is really a must and I went through at only about 7 knots.
    Family Tides - 1969 41' Twin Cabin
    Mema - 1984 17' Boston Whaler Montauk
    High Bar Harbor Yacht Club
    Barnegat Light NJ

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
    Saltshaker the inlet is fine and the bay is clear now and well marked at least around the lighthouse and across the bay but there are some shallow spots. My alarm went off a couple of times when I wandered to the outside edge of the Oyster Creek channel on my way to Waretown and Holiday Harbor to be hauled for the winter. This is a particularly shallow area and high tide is really a must and I went through at only about 7 knots.
    How shallow? I draw 5'4". I may be going to Holiday Harbor. I don't think their lift is big enough but the owner says he can handle my boat. Grant was supposed to haul me but today he informed me that my boat is too big for them to handle. He thought he could do but after talking to a guy who runs a lift and is familiar with hauling a 65C he said he wasn't comfortable doing it.
    Jack Sardina

Jack you should be okay as long as you're at high tide. My dock mates trawler draws about what you do and he can get across. Best give Butch or Barbara a call at Holiday Harbor to confirm. 609.693.2217. They don't haul on one day of the week. I think it's Wednesday. Good luck
    Greg
    Family Tides - 1969 41' Twin Cabin
    Mema - 1984 17' Boston Whaler Montauk
    High Bar Harbor Yacht Club
    Barnegat Light NJ

I have a bunch of gas boats and equipment. I usually try to store them over the winter with as little as possible and just top off with fresh gas come spring time. I put stabil in...I guess it works? I've rebuilt lots of carbs over the years. The new gas plus stabil seems to work fine.

My go-fast boat sat for 3+ years. I just topped off the tank after I rebuilt the engine. Carbs needed rebuilding anyway. I didn't get them done this summer, winter project.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Re: First time winterizing myself/ Anti-Freeze Pump

I have attached some photos of my pump rig for pumping anti-freeze (red(pink)=-50F, blue=-100F) into my systems and engines, plus for oil change pumping. I have now been using this for 5 years, as a major upgrade from other pumps. E.g., it has metal gears, instead of rubber impellers that go bad.

The pump is overkill for anti-freeze, but pumps out 40wgt oil without any effort. It is a combination Baldour motor/Obendorfer pump, originally used for restaurant grease pumping. Downside is that it weighs about 50#'s (oomph), which is why the mounting board has two handles.

I have a set of fittings and hoses made up for the various systems:
    1) fresh water pump-in at shore water bib,
    2) Pump blue pop into oil cooler hose (I install an aux. hose, plugged off, where I pull off the oil cooler hose), thence to HE and out the exhaust, Note: I leave raw water impeller cover on, during pumping, then remove it from over the impellers and the fresh water mixed with blue pop falls out past the impellers. Eventually I pull the impellers.
    3) Pump blue pop through the Onan Genset, after first pulling the impeller and re-installing the impeller cover.
    4) Pump blue pop through A/C heads. I pull off the hose after the AC pump. The pump water falls out of strainer can.
    5) Pump red (pink) pop through the various fresh water outlets, sinks, showers, etc. Note: this boat is fitted with a valve just above the FW tank inlet, and when opened, shore water (red pop) flows into the water tank.
    6) I pour red pop into the toilets and flush them.
    7) I have a set of plugs made up that fit the exhausts, and after blue pop comes out the exhausts, in go the plugs.
    8) Oil Changes: I now have permanently attached hoses to the oil drains, under the mains (6-71N's), which have themselves (the drains) been fitted with on/off valves, in replacement of the pan plugs. The hoses are fitted at the ends with on/off ball valves.

Other actions:
    9) Pull the brass plugs from the AC and Genset water strainers and allow them to drain
    10) Open the RW intake valves at both the mains, AC and Genset and drop residual water; re-close as desired.
    11) Clean the strainers, as necessary.
    12) Drop the water from the hot water tank drain, close drain, switch the valves to force red pop in (see above)
    13) Open the drain at the water pressure system bottle, drain off any water.
    12) Vacuum out all stray water from all the bilge areas.

The winterizing process now goes pretty quickly with this rig, as it pumps fast. Also, the oil draining goes quickly.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 11-28-2013 at 01:55 AM.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

I decided to just take boat to marina and let the yard do the winterizing. If you let them buy materials and they do the work, they guarantee their work and anything broken, due to freezing or sitting up over the winter, they will fix when you put the boat back into the water. May cost a few more dollars, but no more worries.

Their chief mechanic recommended that we run the boat as much as possible, draining the fuel tanks down as low as possible. They will then fill with non-ethnal gas and stabilize.
    PV23

Did anyone get their pump yet?

Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

I didn't get mine yet.