Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Looking to buy Guest

Need advise on Hatteras 45-48 Model

I am looking to buy a used Hatteras sport-fisher and would like some advise on which are the preferred models 45' and 48'. Is there a compelling reason why I would want to buy one model over the other. Is there a preferred engine type/power over another for performance. I would like to have as much speed as possible this is important to me. Thx

Genesis Guest

How much cash do you have?

One of the best all-around deals in that size range would be to get a 45C, pull the engines (probably 6V92s) and put in Cummins QSM-11 660s. If the take-outs are running well getting $10k each for them with the Allison gear is not unreasonable at all.

That would give you mid to upper 20 kt cruise. Note that these hulls do not like to run over 30kts or so and behave oddly if you stick enough power in them to do so; they're simply not made for it. That's every bit up to "today's standards" though in terms of speed, and you have the overbuilt hull of the older Hatts - not available at any price today unless you go full-custom.

That deal can be had, all-up, for right around $400, a bit less if you "buy right" (e.g. find someone with a 45C that has blown engines who wants to sell it that way, or someone going through a divorce); this assumes a complete refit including topside paint, but excluding any major interior (e.g. cabinetry) work.

I'd start with a mid-80s boat if I was going to do this.

That's a screaming deal with the closest equivalent probably being Cabo 42, which new will run you over $1m out the door.

Between the two I'd rather have the refit Hatt, especially when I get to keep 600 large in the process.

captddis Guest

45 or 48

Both are good running boats but my vote is for the 48.
    The 45 is a 43 with two feet added to the cockpit. the 43 was a replacement for the 42 and has a similar interior layout. The later 45s after 87 88 had better layouts. The 45 has a cramped engine room and things are a little difficult to get at. Most cruise about 20 kts.
    The 48 is a much more modern boat, both in looks and layout and is about a 24 kt. cruise. It has the 8V92 forward plan engines with water cooled turbos and a walk in engine room. It has two heads and nice staterooms. It also has a wider beam and a large bridge.
    You could probably put the 45 inside the 48. The 48s that I have run {all new boats} Were about a 28 kt cruise and about 75 GPH. I am sure they are slower now.
    The 45 at 20 kts burns about 40gph. Good Luck, Dave

jim rosenthal Guest

which 40s Hatt

I agree with Karl here...best one is a 45 or 46 (even better) Hatteras. The engine access is vastly improved if you put in Cummins M11s or similar- it is always better with in-line sixes versus V engines, and inline sixes are inherently smoother as well. I would go for a later model 46 with the modern flying bridge. There is a lot of room in those boats and they will go quite briskly with modern engines. Another problem with the 48, which is a much bigger boat, larger than the two feet of LWL would suggest, is that if you decide to repower it you will be spending much more money than to repower a 46 convertible. I don't think there is a Cummins in that size- you would be looking at C18 CATS or 3406Es or something like that, maybe larger. LOTS of bucks. And no faster.

captddis Guest

45-48

I thought the question was for a 45 or 48. If the 46 is a consideration, I would strongly consider it.{ I am biased as I own a 1983 46 HP model}. The 82 to 84 models are a completely redone layout as well as engine room and have the updated systems. They are still a single chine hull. I like the 8V92s plenty of torque and power. Can be run at 1850 and make 21.5 kts. and burn in the 40s. The later 46s also have the big running gear. The double bearing struts and 21/2 in. shafts as well as beefed up hulls. They make easy repower projects if you are so inclined. Personally I will stick with the Detroits. They gave 20+ years of flawless performance and 3000+ hours. Without ever being opened up! I replaced the stbd. engine only because of the previous owners neglect. Even with one old engine the boat still makes 28.5 kts. Time will tell if the lightweight engines will give the same service. In short all good boats, but the 48 is still more contempory. Although Slane and a few others can make any model look new.

jim rosenthal Guest

I agree...

...I would rather have an older 46 than a new anything else, when you look at the cost differential, for three or four times the money you do NOT get three or four times the boat, in some cases you don't get anything any better. An older Hatteras that's been redone, or just an older one that's been kept up well, is a bargain, and will never be worth less than you paid for it. And a 46 is aas pretty as any modern boat, usually better looking, except maybe a Rybovich..maybe. I own a 36 but I have a model of a 46 boat sitting in my living room, and it's a lovely item.

Genesis Guest

Yep

Either a 45 or 46..

But if money is at issue, the mid 80s on 45C is darn tough to argue with. Really the only significant complaint is that engine room access is through the salon, especially if you put in modern inline 6s.

Service access isn't bad with 6V92s. With 8V92s its a LOT tougher - you would think it wouldn't be a big difference, but you'd be wrong. I wouldn't own one with the 8Vs unless I was going to pay someone else (a LOT!) to work on them.

I do all my own service on my 45C with 6V92s and there are very few things that are a serious PITA to deal with. If I was repowering I'd go with the Cummins M11s. The 635s will make that boat HAUL TAIL, while the 535s are quite a bit cheaper, have a much nicer duty rating (HP/cid) and will still give you a low 20s cruise and 26-27kts in the corner.

Its not just the extra power. Its also a new gear that doesn't weigh nearly as much as those old (but bombproof) Allisons, and the lighter weight. You're taking a LOT of mass out of the boat with a repower like this, but you're doing it right at the CG, so the trim change is nil.

Mine currently burns 36gph at 18-19 kts (1950 rpm or thereabouts.) I put enough fuel through her that I don't need flowscans - I have hour meters, I run mostly at cruise, and I have the fuel receipts. There is a sister boat to mine, same year, in Carabelle that the owner dumped about $200k into - new 535 M11s, completely redone interior finish, complete hull paint, all new gauges and controls, the works. Basically a complete refit to "today's" standards.

The reports I have on the boat is that it now cruises at 22-23kts at the same 36gph that I burn (!), and turns up 26-27 in the corner, both fully loaded.

That's a huge improvement, as it gives you a 300nm usable range (90% of 550 gals; the tanks carry 590 but I'm conservative), .vs. about 250nm with the Detroits. That extra 50nm is important as it makes many transits that are risky comfortable, and makes runs to the rigs around here, for example, something that doesn't require a "fallback" if the weather or seas turn ugly. Oh, and its a LOT quieter throughout besides.

It's a huge improvement. Sure, the $200k was a huge investment too, but again, what else can you buy for $400-450 that will come anywhere close to the quality and performance? Not possible guys and gals; the closest in my experience is that aforementioned Cabo which goes out the door for over $1m. You can easily get an '85 or thereabouts and do this to it for that kind of money if you shop right. Low $200s is about right on the base boat, assuming the engines are in good running order and the hull is sound.

I may well do this with mine sometime in the not-too-distant future. Its awfully tempting; there are very few days when you can run at 30kts anyway, although there are plenty of people who want that as the "holy grail" in performance for their cruise speeds..

George Guest

45 Repower

Look in the archeives. I repowered my 1985 45' with Cat C-12s 700 HP.and cruise very comfortably at 1900 rpm and 28 KTS. In a tournament a few weeks back, The marlin were about 17 miles away, I put her up to 2100 and was doing 31 KTS very nicely in a 2 ft. chop, 90 miles off the beach. A few weeks before that the billfish were 110 Miles off the beach, came back 108 miles and burned only 450 gal. Considering trolling from 8:30 to 3:00 PM, not bad at all. The 108 mile trip took a little under 4 hours at 1900 Rpm and 28KTS + It's kind of funney, my old 1985 out 100+ miles along with all these 53"+ custom NC boats with all sorts of range, that all cost over 1.7 Mill. Go with the cheapest 45' you can find, and redo it yourself. Be your own GC. Repower, Paint, tower, glass in windows, new interior can all be done for under 550K easy.

Hatt36 Guest

45-48 Hatteras

Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge concerning the early 1990s 46 Hatteras?

Richard

Looking to Buy Guest

Hatteras Vs Viking

Is there a compelling reason why I should want to buy a 45'-48' 1980's or early 90's Hatteras over a Viking. I'm looking at both and am having a hard time deciding which one I like better. Any advise would be appreciated. Speed is important.