Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

53 Classic : the best ventilated boat around!

Ventilation : something that's often overlooked on boats...

I think the 53 Classic has the best ventilation of any boat out there as even in So Florida hot summer weather, it only take a little breeze at anchor to keep the saloon cool thanks to the side doors and side windows. The aft deck is always cool as well thanks to the wing doors.

it was pretty hot this week end but with a 10kts breeze and the saloon was very comfortable... no need for AC at all.

the galley is a little hotter although a couple of overhead hatches could easily fix that.

the topic had come up on the 56 thread... on most mordern boats you loose AC, it's game over. not so on the ole 50/53!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: 53 Classic : the best ventilated boat around!

I have to agree. Yesterday was the hottest day so far this year, and I worked on installing and wiring a new depth sounder in the lower station. I hardly broke a sweat!

At the end of this month, our marina is having a chili cook-off, so the great ventilation will probably be a good thing!

K

Yep, The 53 MY and the 58YF have the best ventilation for sure! It was bizarre and funny to see Yaisy covering up with a light blanket and nurseing her sunburn at the same time one evening last weekend!
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

I placed an attic fan in the escape hatch on my 53 (the 1974 model has it positioned in the center ceiling of the aft master stateroom coming up between two wicker chairs on the aft deck and hidden by a wicker table between them) so that when the night's are cool, I can place the fan in a "cut out" that consists of a piece of plywood from Lowe's. The fan sucks air through the whole boat and out the escape hatch. Works like a charm, and since the hatches all have mosquito screens, no bugs!!!

i do that too although ideally there should be two hatches, behind each wing doors on the aft deck. that woudl bring a huge amount of air although they'd be some sealign issues with all the water flowing on teh side in heavy rain :-(
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

6. Re: 53 Classic : the best ventilated boat around!

I never appreciated wing doors til I got my 48 YF...that aft bridgedeck area is fantastic for lounging with great air movement as long as a windshield cover is used to block summer sun. Opening the windshield center window even airs the sometimes stuffy area forward of the helm instruments....

A complaint I do have is that without ceiling insulation over the salon area, the interior roof there becomes unnecessarily hot in summer and cold in winter. When replacing the ceiling liner, adding some insulation there would be a low cost improvement.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.