Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

new outside stereo receiver installation

I would like to install stereo/ receiver by the driving station. I saw that I can get a 200W Boss system with speakers for about $150 on ebay.. Since I have just a bimini top, I will need to install the stereo right to the glass, to the right of the wheel on the vertical panel.

Do the marine stereos come with a frame to help the user install it to a new spot?
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

2. Re: new outside stereo receiver installation

My opinion.......I'd put in a 200 watt amp and wire it for an i-pod only. A few guys make marine amps including sony and Poly Planar.

I've done this on the bridge and in the tender.......3000 plus songs.....no cd's. Of course you don't have AM or FM. But that wasn't a deal for us. Thx.

Re: new outside stereo receiver installation

I put a poly-planar amp/speakers in my last boat and was really impressed - enough so that if I was putting a new system in our 53, it would be all Poly-Planar. As it is, I just use the Ipod with the 53's oem system/speakers! I put a pair of PPs on the aft deck but that's all I've done.

I set up the last boat to have tunes available on the FB as well but I haven't bothered with that on our 53.

Re: new outside stereo receiver installation

I just installed a nice Alpine system in my electronics box (plexiglas face). For support, I built a small frame from 3/4" teak that I had around. I cut the hole for the stereo, screwed thru the plexi into the frame I built, and slid the stereo mounting bracket into the frame. I bent the tabs on the mounting bracket to lock them into the frame, and just slid the stereo into the mounting bracket.

BTW, went with XM.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau