Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Installing Vacu-flush

Hey there. I suspect I know the answer to the following question - but just a quick check before I start work on the installation ....

I am replacing my Raritan Crown head with a Vacuflush in the forward stateroom (I know some of you will disagree with this - but I have my reasons). I am just wondering whether you think it is necessary to install a vented loop in the system?

I suspect the answer is yes, and the place to put it is between the through-hull and the holding tank evacuation pump, but honestly I am wondering if it is really necessary. Given the pump and all the valves (all of which will stop back-flow if functioning correctly), I think there is very little chance of water coming back in - so I am really protecting against a leak around the vicinity of the evacuation pump (possible - but only a bit more possible than a hose leak around the vicinity of the through-hull). Also - I hate to think of the cr*p sitting in the hose between the holding tank evacuation pump and the top of the vented loop.

Regardless, unless everyone tells me there is really no need, I think I will put one in. Better safe than sorry.

Let me know what you think - and whether (and where) you have them on your vacu-flush system.

Thanks!

Murray
    Last edited by first230sl; 06-08-2008 at 11:55 PM.
    --
    Murray G.
    Vancouver, Canada
    1971 58 YF

Re: Installing Vacu-flush

If I read this correctly, you are talking about the the overboard discharge pump.

In my set-up, I used a Sealand T series pump. I plumbed from the holding tank to a thru-hull previously used as overboard discharge for the old head system. I did not use a vented loop. I have had no problems, but I only open that thru-hull when I am actually going to pump the holding tank overboard. The rest of the time I keep it closed.

Since the bowl uses fresh water and the system needs to build vacuum, there obviously wouldn't be one in the system prior to the holding tank.
    Last edited by hattitude; 06-08-2008 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hattitude View Post
    If I read this correctly, you are talking about the the overboard discharge pump.
    Indeed - that is what I meant by holding tank evacuation pump.

Thanks - Murray
    --
    Murray G.
    Vancouver, Canada
    1971 58 YF

I installed a VF in my Krogen and followed the installations instructions and there was no mention of a vented loop. My present system on my Hat has none either. Ron

5. Re: Installing Vacu-flush

A vented loop is required when the discharge end is underwater....like in the discharge line from a toilet overboard...if the overboard discharge is at the water line, no real need for a vented loop...
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

i have a vented loop between the Sealand overboard discharge and the thru hull but i dont' think it's needed.

although i wonder if water could make it back past the bellows and duckbills of the pump, especailly since the T series pump only has one pair of DB, vs the two pairs on the standard vac pump.

it's good practice to close the seacock anyway, as long as it's accessible... and if you dont' have a key switch on the overboard pump, it must be closed to be legal.

now with a impeller macerator, i think a vented loop is a must if you're discharging under WL.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat