Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Changes in what we value

As Classic Hatteras owners we all share the same love of quality that we have seen in these boats. Can you remember other things where you felt it had to be right not just easy?

I remember Virgin Vinyl albums on very well maintained turntables and was disappointed when CD's came out at 44.1 Khz. Quality was not to be over run by convenience.

In todays society most things are disposable. I have a garage door opener switch that needs a component and the answer at the store was to throw it out and get another ( I bought the part for about 30 cents and soldered it in ) since it was easier. Music on an IPOD is OK even though there is no high range and alot of distortion in the compression because it is convenient. Cheap and easy is all too often the only offered option and people will defend their decision to "sell out" because it makes them feel better.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Re: Changes in what we value

This is true. You always hear that saying, "they sure don't build things like they used to". This includes our boats. We, as a society, have been overrun with low quality, cheap products from third world countries for many years. People have become accustomed to buying the "throw-away" product.

Somewhat related to this was a discussion at the marina last week. Several people commented how boating is starting to change due to the high cost of fuel. They felt like that if they were going to stay in boating, they would not run their boats as far or as often. They told me that if they were going to keep doing this, they might just as well find a boat like mine (meaning an older Hatt MY) so that they had more room. They figured that running slower and having all of the high quality amenities was more important than having a go-fast boat with extra cup holders. So......maybe the tumbling used market for Hatts will soon bottom out as there seems to be some new demand coming if they can ever get out of their upside down loans on their Sea Rays.

Quality products really do stand the test of time.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Well, yea, pretty much so. The only thing good that can be said by or new generation of "throw-a-way" products is that, umm, no where else would you be able to buy, say a vacuum cleaner or a wide screen TV so really cheap. This also includes "throw-a-way" automobiles. Today even the cheapest low end models have options that 30 years ago only a Caddy or Lincoln would offer.

But as mentioned, in too many things there is little that is repairable (and few who can actually perform repairs) and there seems to be too much waste.

This also, arguably, applies to boats. Other than the expensive Henkley "downeast" style boats and Grand Banks anything under 50' has to be built cheap otherwise no one could afford it. Hence the many cheapie 35'-50' range of family cruisers (and hence - I stand to be corrected - that is why our beloved Hatteras doesn't build anything under 50' anymore).
    Last edited by (Nobody You Know); 06-04-2008 at 08:10 PM.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Carefull people! "they sure don't build things like they used to"??. Lets see, when I was learning to drive the family's '38 Chevy, we did thousand mile oil changes, frequent tuneups and and even more frequent point adjustments, carbon valve jobs every few years, tires lasted 20,000 miles, ever change a 'knee action' front suspension? New car warrantees went from 90 days to 100,000 miles. More recently CVJ boot failures were a big issue for front wheel drive cars. My 1979 Plymouth wagon delivered 12 mpg highway.

House windows were leaky wooden things with cracked putty holding the glass in. They had to be painted every few years. Oh yeah, we had to stoke the coal furnace and couldn't be away more than an afternoon in the winter or the fire went out.

When was the last time you pulled the tubes out of a two year old TV to find out what went bad. Used to be able to buy tubes and test them at the corner store, remember. Now the 'throwaway' model costs less (inflation adjusted), does more and lasts a whole lot longer.

How about outboards? The old two strokes of the 50's were not very reliable or efficient compared to the modern 4 strokes. Etc, etc, etc!!!

What changed? Well technology advanced for one thing, but look real hard at what the Japanese auto companies did for us. The literally forced the big three to get their quality up or die. Yamaha did the same for outboards.

I for one like today. Maybe I'm too old and can remember other 'good old days' when people all around me were contracting polio and other bad stuff that we no longer worry about.

Bob

Well said Bob My Grandmother used to get down right pissed off when people spoke of the good old days. She was born in the late 1800s and lived to 94 so she got to see it all and never wanted to go back. Progress is never free it always has a price and it's always a bargain

Brian

Progress is great. Make things better not cheaper and disposable. Quality has been pushed aside for easy replacement. How many people buy furniture believing it will last more than a few years? Boats too. How hard is it to insure a 40 year old boat that is rock solid when the newer ones fail in 10 or so.

The latest is IPOD ready car stereos when I remember wanting the best sounding ( not loudest that came later) stereo you could get in the car. Kids today will go for glitz over substance because they do not know any better.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Very good quality boats furniture and electronics are available if you want to pay for them. The diffrence between today and the past is that you have a choice. Do you really believe that electronics and cars aren't better today? How about planes would you really like to fly in a 1960s technology jet? Have you trashed your GPS and gone back to paper and dead reconing? I might ask if you've given up the internet and gone back to the US mail but since were talking I guess you haven't. How about microwaves are they handy at all? Or cable TV with cheap unlimited phone service or would you prefer to go back to Ma Bell and 12 channels. If your going to compare the past to the present be fair about it. Sure some things of the past were better and furniture is a good example but if you take in the whole picture it hard to make a case for the past.

Brian

I work in technology. I own 4 HD TV's every one of them a top of the line SONY. Why? Because they are still the best available. Even though the cheap Chinese TV's cost less they sell more on price because they are lower quality. I did not say everything has gone down. Just the judgment of the majority of buyers out there who are willing to get less.

People are changing their values and the value they put on things they buy. Years ago you flew on a plane wearing decent clothes. You dressed for restaurants and expected professional service from wait staff that was experienced not working a few hours a week during college.

Your Doctor knew your name and could speak to you a few minutes because he was not rushed by the ridiculous schedule the insurance companies or large practices push on them.

When you entered a hardware store knowledgeable people were there to help you. Quality items were available and most made in the USA.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I guess I feel strongly both ways. Most stuff made is junk but at least it's CHEAP junk so it doesn't cost much when you replace it since you CAN'T repair it.

On the other hand, as Brian noted, you can still buy a lot of quality stuff IF you want to pay for it, and most people don't because so much is now based on convieniance. Can anybody imagine actually getting up and walking to the TV to change channels?

In our boats, it is much easier to buy a new throw-away plastic water pump than to repair the repairable Galley Maid?. It's true that the GM will last your entire life because any part in it can be repaired/replaced. BUt it's a lot easier to stick in a new pump in than to disassemble the old one.

It's totally a "personal" choice, just as it is to select "Revolver" on the Ipod or to get out the LP, clean the stylus, place the LP on the platter, clean it, lift the arm over and place it on the record. Then, when you want to hear "Tomorrow Never Knows" after "Taxman," you can just select it on the Ipod...OR lift the arm, remove the LP. turn it over, clean it, and move the arm to the last track. Which method is better depends on the individual and what he/she expects out of the experience...

But it's great to HAVE all the choices.

But we are getting less choices. I cant get prime beef at many local markets because the price is higher than choice. Pun intended
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.