Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Need help selecting a Hatt

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Cruisealot View Post
    Hi,
    We intend to hire a captain for a week's training after purchase.
    /Sir Cruisealot
    I would HIGHLY recommend PASCAL from this forum for that purpose. He is a most excellent and capable captain. I trust him to operate our 58MY anywhere, anytime, and in any conditions he deems prudent.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

welcome to the forums...

when you say Caribbean, you mean Caribbean islands, right? reason i asked is that some actually means the Bahamas which have different requirements.

Draft is important in the bahamas, not in the Caribeans where water is deeper. Also, there are a couple of offshore passages to get to the Carib. (caicos to Puerto Rico) and BVI to St Maarten that can be an issue for comfort, and waiting for the rigth weather window.

For the islands, having a cockpit is really nice in my opinion or at least a BIG swim platform altough going up and down the ladder to the swim platform is quickly going to get old with a baby...

A 58 Yachtfish will give you the best of both world... cockpit AND aft deck. It also has very good ventilation in teh saloon, better than a convertible thanks to the side doors.

Also, a YF (or MY with extra big platform) will have a lower helm with side doors which make the boat MUCH easier to handle when it comes to docking, although you will find yourself spending a lot of time on the hook. Lower helm is also a plus on longer runs when the weather gets nasty... If you go the SF route, you can add engine controls in the cockpit if the boat doens't have them.

They will also have a crane to hoist the tender aboard, nicer than towing on passages and more secure.

Although... dont' discount the a sportfish, they make GREAT island cruising boats.

Galley up? well, most 1510s have galley down which i don't find to be a problem. one beneft to the galley down is that not having a bulkhead in the saloon, increases ventilation from the pilothouse doors...

as to equipment, going into areas where spares and good mechanic are scarce, two generators woudl be a plus although a large battery bank and inverter will be a must. if you loose the genny, you coudl still recharge with one of the main, as long as you have a large alternator. Water maker a must as water is expensive down there and that would force you to pull in a dock every few days.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

LOL...i replied before seeing the second page... thanks angela... :-)
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

4. Re: Need help selecting a Hatt

With your limited experience and ambitious cruising plans, I would check to see if you can get insurance for a boat before getting too involved. I have had clients in the past who had difficulty in getting insurance and had to change their plans.

Tucker Fallon Fort Lauderdale

Here is the 58YF for charter:

http://admirals.com/mcgregorii/

Quote Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
    With your limited experience and ambitious cruising plans, I would check to see if you can get insurance for a boat before getting too involved. I have had clients in the past who had difficulty in getting insurance and had to change their plans.

Tucker Fallon Fort Lauderdale

The insurance issue is interesting. Is it the liability part that is hard to get underwritten for novice boaters, or is it the damage I might cause to my own vessel that is hard to get?
    Is is a viable option to be "self-insured"?

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    welcome to the forums...
    Thanks!

when you say Caribbean, you mean Caribbean islands, right? reason i asked is that some actually means the Bahamas which have different requirements.

Draft is important in the bahamas, not in the Caribeans where water is deeper. Also, there are a couple of offshore passages to get to the Carib. (caicos to Puerto Rico) and BVI to St Maarten that can be an issue for comfort, and waiting for the rigth weather window.

For the islands, having a cockpit is really nice in my opinion or at least a BIG swim platform altough going up and down the ladder to the swim platform is quickly going to get old with a baby...
    I was actually hoping to include Bahamas. But the draft of the 58YF should not cause a problem I suppose.

A 58 Yachtfish will give you the best of both world... cockpit AND aft deck. It also has very good ventilation in teh saloon, better than a convertible thanks to the side doors.
    Yes, the 58YF really seems like the optimal choice for us.

Also, a YF (or MY with extra big platform) will have a lower helm with side doors which make the boat MUCH easier to handle when it comes to docking, although you will find yourself spending a lot of time on the hook. Lower helm is also a plus on longer runs when the weather gets nasty...
    This is important.

Galley up? well, most 1510s have galley down which i don't find to be a problem. one beneft to the galley down is that not having a bulkhead in the saloon, increases ventilation from the pilothouse doors...
    I have given up on the galley-up.

as to equipment, going into areas where spares and good mechanic are scarce, two generators woudl be a plus although a large battery bank and inverter will be a must. if you loose the genny, you coudl still recharge with one of the main, as long as you have a large alternator. Water maker a must as water is expensive down there and that would force you to pull in a dock every few days.
    Thanks for the input. Really appreciate it!

Tucker brought up a good point... both liablility and your own boat coverage will be an issue. Insurer will require a captain for a period of time, that will depend on the insurer and your experience.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Gee wizz, am I going to be the only 48MY owner to recommend one?

In my view the three SR model is hard to beat for a liveaboard vessel, (but there is a two SR version with a cockpit). The aft deck is huge which is really delightful for entertaining, or relaxing with a drink. Our boat came with an oversized swim platform that works very well for us. I have never found a MY to be an issue handling in docking. Just open all the curtains in advance and have lines placed. Yep, you do have to go down a ladder to the platform.

This model was designed to handle well at trawler speeds and give great economy. Last I looked, there is an exceptional example of one for sale by a HOF member (not mine). Lots of pictures of mine as well Chris' on the gallery to give you a feel for the boat.

Bob

I've always liked the 48MY Series 1. I remember seeing the Hatteras Lady in Port Huron, MI when she first came out as a new model. My dad had a 43DC at the time and I was really hoping he might upgrade at the time. Nice boat.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI