Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Exhaust RISERS for '83 48MY

Yup, I'm messing around in the engine "room."
    The exhaust RISERS (not elbows, not aftercoolers) need replacing. Thoughts on where to go for new ones? (DD 6v92TAs)
    (I'm figuring Sams isn't going to have two "in stock" - ya know...)

I've got "helpers" who are - some more, some less - mechanical (I'm not). Can this be a DIY project?
    Last edited by Buccaneer; 03-25-2008 at 01:37 AM.

2. Exhaust elbows for '83 48MY

How do you know they need to be replaced? I don't doubt you, but am interested to know what symptoms you see.

Usually the biggest problem with non water cooled accessory bolts is that the bolts sometimes break instead of turning loose...There is likely at least one thread here that discusses some removal techniques to help avoid that ....I remember some discussion but not the subject/title....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Exhaust elbows for '83 48MY

The RISERS have been rusting away for 10 years or so. (Owner before me and owner before HIM) all saw it, all "let it go." Reputable engine mechanincal surveyor noted exhaust leaks, and we figure it's only going to get worse. (I tried to put it off should have dealt with it sooner...)

I'm getting quotes anywhere from $5,000 to $13,000.