Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Anyone used Nylon tube for their steering?

Great points about the silicone hose. This is the first time I have heard of any trouble with them. I guess I'll be the guinea pig for this test! I'm 3 yrs into the proposed 10yr span so we shall see! Luckily I managed to route the lines in the same location as the factory copper so it stays quite dry but where the lines connect to the ram under the cockpit will surely be the first areas to give me some trouble. I'll have to keep an eye and see what develops.

I have had no trouble finding fittings at all. The hydraulic shops I have visited always had what I needed and the little tool that installs the fittings is rediculously easy to use. I can make up a new hydraulic steering line in less than 10 minutes with the blue stuff and fittings I keep on board. I have had to to that for short runs where the fittings on the copper lines have broken. It may not be as good as copper, but I don't quite see it as a substandard material just yet.

Unlike Scott, I won't be handing this boat down as it is not my last boat. I see this boat as being in our care for 10-15yrs and then moving to another boat (probably a Hatt in the 70-75' range) for cruising farther than Florida and the Bahamas.

2. Re: Anyone used Nylon tube for their steering?

The AQP is not suitable for this.

The problem is that it has some "stretch" internally. That is, its volume increases slightly under pressure. This leads to lack of a "firm" feel in the steering system, which is desireable.

The nylon tubing is very low stretch for this reason, as of course is copper.

General hydraulic hose should not be used for this application; it has the pressure rating for it but is not suitable for that reason.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I think copper is the way I will go. I am pretty comfortable working with it and I am sure I can get the runs secured well and protected from the elements. I have all the tools already and flares are easy to do. .
    See the recent post regarding Echo SharkBite non-flare fittings. See their website...may be an "easier" alternative to Cu pipe installation, or PEX for that matter. website http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbite.php

Cost...unknown at this time.

Must admit, I am big time old school on proven materials and techniques for long term operational functionality, i.e. durability.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

We replaced a lot of fuel and water lines that P.O. had replaced with various types of tubing. Went back with copper. Try running a flexible tubing under the floor straight run of 6 feet without removing floor. Flaring is not rocket science, nor is bending tubing especially when you have a sample in hand...

Parker has a plastic hose specifically for steering systems. Has reusable ends and everything. I think My cost was .28 per foot and the ends were 12.00 each. I patched my old hatteras steering with the plastic, and my new rig has plastic as well.
    K copper tubing must be really hard to find, I have not seen any k copper for plumbibg in a while. I guess ACR air conditioning copper would work, bout 100.00 per 50 foot last time I bought some.

JW

Why can't you just go with one wire hydraulic hose and re usable fittings. It will handle the oil and pressure it's a lot easier to run and it's not all that expensive. Unless I'm missing something that would be my choice.

Brian

Whether you use nylon, copper or the new hydraulic lines. You will get the same results. When Hatteras started, the copper was the best for longevity. But in today's world the new stuff can easily surpass the copper. I think that if you check the transition from the copper tubing to the control cylinder moving the rudders you will find hose. As long as the replacement hose or tubing is rated for the pressure and fluid, you will be OK. It works, but copper is old school material.

BILL

Copper is old school -

Yes, it is and for that reason its longevity is proven. Copper was also old school when AL wiring was introduced in the 70's as a great improvement over copper...OOPS!

So I'd say that we KNOW copper will last a long time in this application because it has done so. All we know about "newer" materials is that the manufacturer claims it will last a long time.

I'm not saying that modern materials aren't far better in many ways/applications but claiming long life for something can only be done after it has actually achieved long life in that application. Until it has, YOU are the beta tester for the product!

I have used the black plastic hose from Teleflex it has worked very well. When using hose you can't just use any hose rated for Hydraulics If the hose is to soft it make the system slow in response it has to be a hard plastic and there is a limit to how long of a run. I think it was around 50' total after that they recommend going to copper.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Now comes the next idea.

My Hynautic reservoir is forward of the port engine. The bridge controls come in through the center of the ER and the run to the cylinder is on the starboard side.

I no longer have the lower station (not looking to add it back) and thought I would re located the reservoir under the bridge (in an accessible area) that allows me the ability to check it for level and pressure without climbing in the bilge, over the port battery and hold the light as I lean over the AS compressor.

Is there any reason why I should not make this change? I have the space below the controls and am running new tubing anyway?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.