Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Blower Motor on Air Handler

I've got the typical Cruise Air / Dometic set up. Compressors in the engine room and evaporators / air handlers in the state rooms and salon.

In the guest state room the blower motor is bound up. I can turn it by finger tips and I'm trying to get PB blaster in there. It's in such tight spot that I can hardly get my head and the can of PB blaster in at same time. But it is getting looser.

The question is...Am I wasting my time? Has anyone really brought one of these back from the dead. I'm guessing the bearing just got a little rusty during a prolonged shut down. what do you guys think? Thx.

Re: Blower Motor on Air Handler

I had that issue with a previous boat - managed to get it lubed with light oil and it ran for 3 years perfectly till we sold the boat.

I suspect you can get it working if you slowly inject a lubricating solvent and spin it as best you can. These motors have bronze bushings, so letting the penetrating lubricant work on the shaft rust should work.

About a year ago I replaced my 43 year old CruiseAir system with new CruiseAir units (all were still working as new - but not up to today's standards). I used to lube the fan motors with tiny nylon tube connected to a small hypodermic syringe. It let me get a few drops of oil in (all you need) without spraying oil all over (to be avoided).

Once you get the fan freed up, you might want to lube it with light weight oil to replace the penetrating oil in the felt reservoirs.

4. Re: Blower Motor on Air Handler

Just to time out on this one....Good suggestion on the hypodermic.....It got me thinking. I ended up drilling a hole in the top of the blower housing....fished a McDonalds straw down and onto the shaft, against the bearing and dribbled PB blaster down it. 2 or 3 turns by hand and it was spinning freely. So I think I'm good to go.

The shame of it is I could of done this day one without taking all the ducts off had I thought of it. But thanks again for the suggestions.

5. Re: Blower Motor on Air Handler

Well this is one of those "what am I being punished for" deals. Blower motor runs all night and all day today. Go up to the boat today, shut it down, start it back up, good to go.

Get all the duct work back on and before I buttom up the access port in the cieling the little voice says, give it a whirl. Well the damn thing is bound up again. Dribble PB and WD 40 down the straw again, no joy. Maybe it's bound mechanically.....take all the stuff off. Nope. Another half a can of PB and no go.

I finally find away to get my shoulders in there, cause this dang thing is coming out now. I get the allen head off that allows the blower housing to rotate. The housing is turnig but I cannot figure out how to get the thing off of the evaporator coils. There has to be some catch or lever somewhere, but after an hour I can't find it.

Does or has anybody ever taken the blower housing off of the evaporator coils and if so how? Thx.

Is that a fan or squirrel cage blower? You may need to pull the motor apart to clean the shafts and bearing. They are brushless and childproof! ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 03-31-2008 at 08:55 AM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

7. Re: Blower Motor on Air Handler

It's a squirrel cage blower...and it will roatate in place about 180 degrees. This one is 3 years old, has black foam covering it. I searched all the threads and it sounds like there may be some screws under to foam on the evaporator coil frame.

But I swear two years ago (on another unit) the AC guy had the one on the bridge out but the time I went down the ladder, got a flashlight and went back up the ladder......

Thx.

I recently replaced the squirrel cage blower on the unit in my master stateroom. Don't know if yours is similar, but I'll share what I found on mine.

Very little room even with the cabinet almost totally removed.

I eventually found four bolts holding the blower to the coils.

Not sure I can explain it right, but here goes.....

The squirrel cage housing mates to the coils by a square piece (flange/bracket). The flange is perfectly square (front, back, top, & bottom), but the blower is at the proper angle to mate with the ducting. There was a small lip on the front and the back of the flange that slid over the coil housing. The lip had two screws front & two screws rear, holding the blower assembly to the coil housing.

I only found the screws by feel, might have spotted them with a remote mirror but not sure. I used a small box wrench to remove them. It was slow, steady work. I believe I had to remove some black foam that kinda glued the blower assembly to the coil housing.

Not sure if I explained it correctly. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures.

When I got a new blower, I removed the square flange/bracket from the old blower and mounted it on the new blower to match the angle and reassembled it all.

Glad it's done, not hard, just a pain.

Hope this may help and good luck....

9. Re: Blower Motor on Air Handler

Thanks. that sounds like my set up. Although this blower housing can rotate to match whatever duct angle you need. But that could be accomodated in that flange I guess.

Once you got those screws out did the blower assembly pull away from the evaporator coils or did it have to be slid forward or back? It's so tight in this space that this won't be an option for me if that was the case.

But I think you've given me the right approach, there must be some small screws under that foam coating. Thanks again.

When my stateroom blower motor failed the A/C guy had to pull the entire unit out in order to separate the blower from the coils.
    Trav
    45C 447, Series I, '72
    Pensacola, Fl