Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oil change time: Whats the oil capacity in a 8v71ti?

oil change time for our 8v71ti. I can't find the capacity in the service manuel. also the does the quantity include the oil filter?
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Re: Oil change time: Whats the oil capacity in a 8v71ti?

Ours, with remote filters, take approx 6 gallons.

Mine, with no remote filters, take 4.8 gal.

BTW - remember to use only the correct type (old higher formula sulphate) oil and only straight 40 wt.

Doug

about 5 gals. i usually get 3 pails... 2 for the oil change and the rest to top off over time...

how are you doing with your injectors?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

5. Oil change time: Whats the oil capacity in a 8v71ti?

With remote filter change, I use about six gallons per engine...

For spare oil, I installed an aluminum box shaped holder for a spare five gallon oil pail container on my 48 YF aft of the center water tank under the engine room floor..over the bilge pump between the water tank and aft centerline fuel tank.

I got the idea from an engine room in a Sea Ray.....So during my six month continuous cruises, I can either fill a one gallon container for topping off engines or use my oil change pump in reverse to add oil when needed.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Easy job! oil out and in plus filter 20 mins per side. 5 gals of rotella 40W each. I still have all of my fingers and no bloody knuckels.

Now if I can only figure out the injectors...
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

7. Oil change time: Whats the oil capacity in a 8v71ti?

ok,ok, Mario now I am getting really frosted!!!!

And this time it's not winter weather!!! Not only do I have to put up with Florida members bragging about basking in the sun whils't we endure snow,sleet,etc here in the NE, now I have to hear about "how easy it is to change oil" with side by side stand up engine rooms...

Enough I say!! Enough!!!. REAL MEN have engine rooms like mine, in a 48 YF with little engine room space...no stand up room that encourages crawling, flexability, arm exercise, contortions and so forth while one moves about and changes oil, inspects,etc...

Next, you guys with "real" engine rooms will be posting about wearing dresses while you change oil!!!! (Grin)
    Rob Brueckner

Boy do I second that emotion. Compared to our prior boat, the 48YF had a pretty spacious engine room, but getting to the oil filters and then getting the oil into the engine without a pump is interesting to say the least.

It could be worse, we could still own the Carver!!!!!!!

Does anybody have a big oil tank on there boat? Like a 20 gallon number mounted in the engine room, maybe two, one for black oil and one for clean? Might be a kool Idea, have them plumbed and ready to go at all times. I saw a sportfish recently that had the discharge for the oil pump mounted in the cockpit. Captain said he never brought the 5 gallon containers on board. Just pumped everything in and out from the dock... I keep a 20 gallon plastic drum under the aft cockpit for waste oil and empty it once a year or so.....

Funny, I seem to remember always having to buy 3 - 5 gallon buckets of oil. I think mine is about 11 gallons....

Captned

10. Oil change time: Whats the oil capacity in a 8v71ti?

Extra oil storage aboard seems like a lot of work for little reward as many typically use their boats. Carrying ONE spare five gallon pail and one full one enables me to do what I need. If an engine becomes contaminated for example, I can fill the empty pail with bad oil then refill the engine with clean and I have another spare ready...

Extra oil tanks for really long range cruising in remote areas could be useful especially if one had really big engines...but refilling engines for oil used keeps additives suitable for a lot of cruising time. Since you still have to pour oil from pails to containers aboard I'll pass unless someone has figured a really clever use. And our Hatts in the 40 to 48 foot range sure don't have easy access under decks/cockpits/floors for easy tank installation and plumbing...
    Rob Brueckner