Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cleaning Power Cables

Does anyone have any useful tips for cleaning up dirty power cables? I cleaned one up with Simple Green and a 3M scrub pad and it may have been a little too aggressive. It's clean but the shine has been knocked off. Also any ideas on how to bring back a little bit of the finish? I'm thinking maybe car wax. I realize this seems a little retentive, but it's getting late in the Winter and I'm running out of boat projects. Fellow Northern boaters may relate a little more to this. I have probably hauled half the boat into the basement over the winter for some sort of reconditioning work.

60 days to splash!
    Eric
    Last edited by smoothmove; 02-23-2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: typos

Smile Re: Cleaning Power Cables

Try Mister Clean Majic Eraser, found in food stores or the Dollar Store. Works great on fiberglass. If that doesn't work, try to match the color in a spray paint,

Re: Cleaning Power Cables

60 Days!!! Man I couldn't take that you need to come south. I use spray on silicone gets some shine back maybe helps keep them soft?

Brian

4. Cleaning Power Cables

Inflatable boat cleaner (or the more expensive fender cleaner) cleans and restores a shiny smooth surface. For really bad stains, I use acetone which dulls the cable or fender and leaves a rough surface; completing the cleaning with inflatable boat cleaner restores the smooth shiny finish....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

I just did the 50A cord with a 3M pad and Chlorox clean up spray. It came out resonably clean, but is now dull, I guess because of the abrasion of the pad. I tried McGuires 303, but it didn't shine it. I suspect it will crud up faster now, but the admmiral was happier.

Bob

I put on a pair of nitrite gloves,get a couple of shop rags and some MEK,you can use acetone but it evaporates too quickly.Wet the rags liberally and often while wiping the grime off your cord.I don't care how bad it is,it will look brand new when you are done,including the shine.

BTW/Only do this outside and not around anyone smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Ratty View Post
    Try Mister Clean Majic Eraser, found in food stores or the Dollar Store. Works great on fiberglass. If that doesn't work, try to match the color in a spray paint,

These are the cat's ass! Everything from plastic lawn chairs to, ahem, chalky awlgrip. Drag a hose around the corner... gone! Dirty fenders... like new. Cushions, black weathering marks, you name it ! The only thing is they get used up kinda quick. Theyre cheap, so buy a bunch! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

I also used the Magic Eraser with water. On the really tough spots a bit of Bar Keepers Friend will get it out. To bring the shine back I soaked a rag with Armor All. Makes it a little slick but looks good and lasts the season

Chris
    Superior Nights 53C

I spent the big bucks on the StarBrite power cord cleaner. It works great, but I like the MEK idea better.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: Starbrite Power Cord Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I spent the big bucks on the StarBrite power cord cleaner. It works great, but I like the MEK idea better.

Is this a great country or what? I had no idea that you could buy "Power Cord Cleaner" right off the shelf. I'm with you though Sky, I'll try the MEK first. Then move on to some of the other suggestions if necessary. Thanks to everyone for the comments.
    Eric