Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Spare Injectors

Re: Spare Injectors

Is this one of the rejects Scrod? ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 02-29-2008 at 09:06 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

2. Spare Injectors

Great photos guys....
    I still remember running an emergency power test many years ago in downtown NYC (32 Avenue of the Americas, a major AT&T communications building). The engine driving the generator was an Electro Motive diesel.....actually a locomotive engine from GM I believe...that damn thing was taller than I was....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

You guys may find this interesting... ws
    http://www.emdiesels.com/lms/en/pmi/...s_Brochure.pdf
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Interesting how EMD can meet EPA standards with only minor changes to their 2-strokes. That means that DD could get back into making 2-strokes as well. But, hey, that would be too simple and reliable. They couldn't make any money replacing electronic sensors.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

101 Uses For An Electro-Motive Diesel, Use #47

One of my customers ran a metal shredder. It was a huge set of about 10 rotating "hammers", several thousand pounds apiece, that counter-rotated between each other to produce a shearing action. A pair of 16V-567 EMDs (yes, the numbers mean the same thing as on a Detroit) drove it via belts. In the same building there was an 8V-567 running a generator to power the rest of the facility. From the control room about four stories up, I was able to watch them shred a '70s vintage Buick Electra 225. Within less than a minute it was reduced to pieces the size of your thumb. Ferrous and non-ferrous metals were separated by magnets and "soft" parts like upholstery were vacuumed out and separated. When it was all done you wouldn't even know what color the car had been. The noise and vibration were horrific in the control room but nothing compared to standing between the engines.

Sorry, no pictures. I should start taking a camera with me.

Bill, what do you mean rejects? That thing will end up in Bolivia or Honduras running a generator in a straw shack. Never throw out an EMD.

Sky, I'm pretty sure the standards are a little different when you get into that size range.

GE makes a pretty nice locomotive engine too. But my favorites are still the ALCOs. F-M Opposed-Piston engines are a close second, though technically not a locomotive engine.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

It's because of the size Sky the regs ease up for medium speed engines. I had a 1944 navy DPC tug with an EMD 8 567 800 HP @ 800 RPM looked like a giant 871 8 cylinders@ 567 CI per cylinder. If I ever get Adobe installed I'll post a pic.

Brian

Re: Tricks of the trade

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Here's how to tell an N from an S from an HV or LV. The injector on the left is that rare N65 white tag. If you look at the hex on the nozzle nut (blue circle) you'll note that there are two notches. (See insets for a closer view) That indicates an N or C (needle valve and conical valve - pretty similar) injector. The second injector is an older S (spherical valve) which is marked with a single notch. The third injector is an LV (low valve). LV and HV (high valve) injectors have no notches on the nozzle nut. Also note the offset of the body where the fuel lines attach on the two left injectors. This is so the injectors will fit between the valves on a 4-valve head. The LV/HV is non-offset (red circle) and is for a 2-valve head.

It's possible to upgrade a LV/HV to a C. Which is a nice improvement for some old 53s. The nozzle nut will have two notches, but the non-offset body will give it away.

The injector on the right is from an Electro-Motive. Just in case you start thinking your Detroits are "big" engines.
    Very few people know about upgrading the HV to an N we used to get the housings machined by Brown Diesel in Staten Island NY to accept the needle valve. Makes one big diffrence in those older engines. Do you know what the C and 7E designations mean I know they are for highway engines to meet the emission standards but I don't know what makes them diffrent?

Brian

I'm ordering 16 injectors from the Texas company Brian listed in his post. I figured, what the heck, I've been talking about replacing the injectors on our 8V71TIs for 2 years as a "normal maintanence thing" so I figured I'd order them and see what I get. From a boat money point of view, it isn't much!

Unfortunately, I won't be on the boat to see these injectors for two more months (they're being shipped to MD) so I won't be able to provide any input re their quality for a while...

Re: Tricks of the trade

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Degulis View Post
    Very few people know about upgrading the HV to an N we used to get the housings machined by Brown Diesel in Staten Island NY to accept the needle valve. Makes one big diffrence in those older engines. Do you know what the C and 7E designations mean I know they are for highway engines to meet the emission standards but I don't know what makes them diffrent?

Brian
    I spent a lot of time on that post. Taking the picture, editing the picture, resizing the picture, writing the text, editing the text. Now I re-read it in your quote and realize I said C when I meant N for the HV conversion. It's always something.

Anyway, I was always told that C was for "Conical valve" which was what they were called before they called it a needle valve. A quick look at the specs says the common wisdom was wrong. A C60 and an N60 both have the same part number for the nozzle. But they have a different barrel and plunger, so my guess is that they played with the timing helix to meet emissions. Maybe C stands for California. Unfortunately, none of the manufacturers share much engineering information anymore so it's just an educated guess.

As for the As, Bs and Es the first number ie. 5A50, 7E75, or 9B90 seems to indicate the engine series that they're intended for. The last is the fuel delivery. Then there are numbers that don't fit the pattern at all, like B55. I think that Detroit needed some codes to designate injectors and numbers like N90 became too limiting to designate every possible combination of parts. Some of the most recent designations like 7125 are just the last 4 digits of the part number.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

That's what I was told by some experienced DD and injection guys. They said the C stood for Clean or California and it was supposed to be a cleaner burn but they thought the tip was diffrent. The 7E they thought was a later version of the C. It's hard to get straight answers cause there are so few shops that do DD injectors in house.

Brian