Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Coolant Direction in VT903M for Tranny Cooler

As I prevoiusly described myself as a "Glorified Plumber" (mechanical engineer) I am ashamed to ask this question: Does anyone know which direction the water (coolant) flows in the Transmission Oil Cooler on a VT-903M (From rear of engine towards front or vice versa)? I just can't tell as I do not know how heat exhanger is baffled. I am replacing with aftermarket coolers and apparenly direction of water flow matters.

I know this much about heat exchangers - Hot oil should hit cold side of water first so you get biggest temperature differential and therefore greatest heat transfer rate. Will reverse engineer oil hose location from oil pump and work on this premise if no one knows. Should be a $10 prize to the person who knows this one.

Also - scanned the whole parts book for the VT903M to pdf if anyone needs it emailed, just let me know.
    Last edited by sgharford; 02-11-2008 at 02:25 PM.

Re: Coolant Direction in VT903M for Tranny Cooler

Well this is the old diff eq problem, which creates the lowest final T, adding the coffee to the cream or the cream to the coffee. Adding the coffee to the cream is the answer because of the phenomena you describe i.e. the hottest oil should hit the coldest water, the inlet, first. This creates a larger volume of cooler oil to cool the rest of the oil.

Having said that, i have seen them plumbed both ways and i doubt the difference is that great...depends on the HE design.

Ted

Sweet Sweet Diffy Q's - oh how I don't miss you and your parabolic ways. Since I started a thread on this and TedZ was good enough to reply I followed up with manufacturer and asked them why an arrow for water flow direction. They said it had to do with zince anode - you want the water to hit the anode first so that if it breaks the heat exchanger coils act as filter and does not let it get caught up in engine (like the thermostat).

So I still have a virtual $10 prize to anyone who knows which way the water flows in a VT903M. Would like to do it "right" as I am not squeezing into that port engine access ever again (God willing) once I get these installed.
    Last edited by sgharford; 02-11-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Good Day Cap. The coolant in a 903 flows aft from the heat exchanger to the gear cooler to the wet exhaust. Tony

Buster - you are officially a 903 God. I shall never take thy name in vain.

Uhmm, you don't always want counterflow heat exchangers. It depends on the application. You can bust it down to log mean temp difference and/or NTU method if you care to go that far LOL

I think in this application the difference between parallel flow and counterflow would probably be negligible.