Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Anchor Rights

Re: Anchor Rights

I do know that any boat can anchor indefinetly in US federal waters. Some of the ICW inlets show this. The state jurisdiction, and therefore anchoring rules, come into play as soon as a boat goes under the first bridge either north or south of the ocean inlet. I saw this at the inlet at the north end of Palm Beach. There are several liva aboards and a house on a barge just north and inside of the inlet. This practice ceases beyond the bridge.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

The very same thing happens in my old marina. You can't stop them from using the water. But don't anchor or go ashore. Then there had. They even wanted to put a huge gate across the marina entrance and they were not allowed to prevent boaters from using the water.

BILL

Permit me to take a slight detour, and perhaps learn something that has always puzzled me, especially with all the discussion of global warming and rising ocean levels.

Capt. Erich mentions the thousand year old Cypress tree stumps under six to eight feet of water at River Dunes. A few years back, the entrance to Fairfield Harbour (Spring Creek) was dredged and had similar problems with very large Cypress stumps on the bottom, under about 6 feet of water. So here is the question. What set of events resulted in the Cypress stumps being at the bottom of the creeks? Has the ocean level and thus these up river creeks risen already over time to take over what was once dry land or swamp land with little water on the surface? Thanks

Pete

4. Re: Anchor Rights

Sea level was 125 meters below current levels during the last ice age. The highest sea levels were more than 150 feet above todays sea level. Go here and look. http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs2-00/

Al the Bore disreqards history, geology, and science. He is purely a political creature with a mental defect.

"Wave-cut terraces on San Clemente Island, California. Nearly horizontal surfaces, separated by step-like cliffs, were created during former intervals of high sea level; the highest terrace represents the oldest sea-level high stand. Because San Clemente Island is slowly rising, terraces cut during an interglacial continue to rise with the island during the following glacial interval. When sea level rises during the next interglacial, a new wave-cut terrace is eroded below the previous interglacial terrace. Geologists can calculate the height of the former high sea levels by knowing the tectonic uplift rate of the island. Photograph by Dan Muhs, USGS."

What??? you mean that sea level has actually been much higher than today's sea level? Just one of the many examples of reality that ole' Al neglects to talk about.

I better stop here since reality scares some people.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Who the heck is drinking all the water. Oddly enough 80 years ago 8 miles from my home was a 4000 acre lake. Today its a golf course. China built that new dam and it consumed enough water, 600ft. deep and the size of Uta and it's stagnant. You can't even swim in it, millions of the fish are dying. Wasn't that brilliant and they don't know how to fix it.

BILL

I have fun with folks that don't know as much as they think, like Al Gore. Just ask one of them why they need locks on the Panama Canal to get from the Atlantic to the Pacific, or vica-versa. They will almost always say that they are needed because of the difference of sea level between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Try it on your neighbors and friends. Isn't that hard to believe?
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard Rupp View Post
    I have fun with folks that don't know as much as they think, like Al Gore. Just ask one of them why they need locks on the Panama Canal to get from the Atlantic to the Pacific, or vica-versa. They will almost always say that they are needed because of the difference of sea level between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Try it on your neighbors and friends. Isn't that hard to believe?

Blow me down, so ist that a trick question or answer. Why the locks, I asts (in my best Popeye dialect).
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Lady View Post
    Sea level was 125 meters below current levels during the last ice age. The highest sea levels were more than 150 feet above todays sea level. Go here and look. http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs2-00/

Al the Bore disreqards history, geology, and science. He is purely a political creature with a mental defect.

"Wave-cut terraces on San Clemente Island, California. Nearly horizontal surfaces, separated by step-like cliffs, were created during former intervals of high sea level; the highest terrace represents the oldest sea-level high stand. Because San Clemente Island is slowly rising, terraces cut during an interglacial continue to rise with the island during the following glacial interval. When sea level rises during the next interglacial, a new wave-cut terrace is eroded below the previous interglacial terrace. Geologists can calculate the height of the former high sea levels by knowing the tectonic uplift rate of the island. Photograph by Dan Muhs, USGS."

What??? you mean that sea level has actually been much higher than today's sea level? Just one of the many examples of reality that ole' Al neglects to talk about.

I better stop here since reality scares some people.
    Ironically, amazingly, etc., you could substitute areas of the Great Lakes for the above description and have a direct fit. The little town of my youth, Cheboygan, MI, sits directly on the Great Lakes, at the Straits of Mackinaw. It is surrounded by a high ground around the entire community, both south and west of town. That ridge is about 50-60' above the lake levels, give or take current levels. The street "Court St." follows that ridge all around the town.

Furthermore, there is an even higher ridge that runs down south of Indian River MI, and runs north toward Mackinac City, MI, which is the very old high water mark, following the recession of the Glaciers, which entirely covered and eventually gouged out the Great Lakes. That high ridge is about 125-150' above the Great Lakes levels. There are tales of 1,000's of years old indian (American Native) trails that ran along that high ridge.

When the glaciers gouged out the Great Lakes they dropped the gravel (very loose term) and covered northern OH, IN, and South MI in a Moraine.

So in my view, since that was about 15k years ago, this current concern over a 20-30 year cycle is very odd (did I say insane?). But big Al has made $10-15M, so hysteria can be a good thing for some people.

P.s., Lake Superior was up 6"'s last year, but no one really noticed. I will be surprised if Lakes MI and Huron don't follow suit this year, since magically the Big Lake Gitchigoomee flows into the lower lakes via the St. Mary's river.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 02-10-2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
    I'm referring to Lake Erie and the Ohio River. Now days who knows what the courts will rule.

BILL
    This may not be directly on point, (anchoring), but its close (access). I belive that the MI State Surpreme Court ruled last year that the series of roads that terminate into interior lakes and those lakes which flow into the Great Lakes are legally considered public access. The roads were township maintained and many townships had allowed them to completely return to a wild state, i.e. no road existed and de facto, no access existed. So the courts said, tsk, tsk, that's a no, no. Put the roads back, i.e. rebuild them, as platted, and give access to the public.

Unfortunately, a Traverse City, MI woman, drove down such a road directly into such a lake and drowned herself and two children, when they could not exit the vehicle safely.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 02-10-2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: typo