Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Took my "first" job....

Hopefully it stays around long enough in this shitty economy for me to actually start working (begin in July). It's not really my first job and all my previous experience came into play (especially previous powerplant experience).

I appreciate all the insight people have given on this board over the past few months.

Field engineer for Babcock power. Nice salary, strait-time OT past 45 hours, and free food/housing as I will be traveling project to project aka 100% travel. I didn't want to be in an office and I wanted to get my "boots dirty" so I figured this is the best time to do the travel gig while I'm young.

I had a few offers (all great opportunities) and did some negotiating. I finally narrowed it down and accepted the one today.

I figure the power plants will still be burning coal in the upcoming depression and somebody will have to fix 'em! I'll make sure not to get into any air conditioning/aluminum engine/how turbos operate/boilers make steam not heat/torque does work, not power discussions with my elders. LOL

Re: Took my "first" job....

Congratulations!

"The future's so bright, you gotta wear shades!"

I guess this dates me a bit, but this song was popular when I graduated. Still makes me laugh.

Mark

3. Re: Took my "first" job....

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    I'll make sure not to get into any air conditioning/aluminum engine/how turbos operate/boilers make steam not heat/torque does work, not power discussions with my elders. LOL

I almost dropped my coffee on reading that one...... Love starting my day with a laugh...
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Krush I believe we have taught you something it took me 20 years to learn too. Listen and pay attention. That is how you learn the practical application of your education. After some time you may see a better way to do things but remember you are probably not the first to see that. It may not work. It may be a whole new procedure that changes the world. Explore it carefully so as to not embarrass yourself when you find the "big hole in the logic".

Something I leaned in sales may help in your situation.

G-D gave you 1 mouth and 2 ears and 2 eyes. Watch, Listen and speak less and you will learn.

Oh yea. Thanks for joining the tax rolls. We need help supporting all the non motivated types.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

CONGRATS Krush! I hope you will be very happy at your new job.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Oh yea. Thanks for joining the tax rolls. We need help supporting all the non motivated types.
    Insert *ANGRY FACE*....hahaha

Ditto on the congratulations, krush. But keep connected here; I think your perspective helps keep discussions fresh.

Best of luck,
    DAN

Congradulations on your new job but you may want to come up with another word to describe the economy if they let you use the computer where you work but you would be a good weather man ha ha.

9. Re: Took my "first" job....

My first job has only lasted 38 yrs so far.... Not sure I want to stay with it yet.....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Congratulations! Sounds like a great "first" job.

As a professional engineer and a consultant myself for a long time, the hardest thing to learn, and the earlier the better, is to SHUTUP and LISTEN first. A bit more blunt than Boatsb's comment. We engineers seem to have a burning desire to TALK first about everything we know about everything.

Stick around here in your spare time!