Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: The money pit...Steering Problem

Did you back the valves out until they stopped? These are the valves at the aluminum block back by the rudders correct? Some older pilots had a valve block near it and that will not help for bleeding the system. If all else fails try some more air pressure. Any of the stubborn systems I worked on would finally purge with a little more air press. Lastly make sure the resevoir is not too full as the air needs a place to go. Dave

We backed the valves out until they stopped, but that didn't work. We put upwards of 45 lbs pressure in the system, thinking that it would help, again, NOPE! We are at a loss...
    KNOT PURRFECT
    1985 - 55C Hatteras

1. The pressure in the reservoir has NOTHING to do with the steering pressure/effort at all. The pressure in the res just ensures there is fluid in the system. There has to be pressure but changing the amount does nothing as far as the steering pumps are concerned.

2. You mentioned you are turning the wheel until it stops. You are not turning the wheel sufficiently to bleed. The wheel won't actually "stop" - you just have to turn it harder as it bleeds. There are pop-off valves in the pump so just keep turning in one direction for 60-80 complete turns (slow). Then stop and go the other direction for 60-80 turns. Note that you are to continually turn the wheel in the same direction for the 60-80 turns, REGARDLESS of the pressure you feel on the wheel.

3. As mentioned, ensure there is sufficient fluid in the reservoir of the CORRECT TYPE - Either Hynautic fluid or MIL 5606. 5606 is better for two reasons, it is MUCH cheaper and it is red, making it easier to trace. NOTE that ATF can be used but it is NOT recommended because it produces much stiffer steering than Hynautic/5606. Mercon/Dexron ATF is red so seeing red fluid leaking or whatever, only tells you that it MIGHT be 5606 (GOOD!) OR ATF (bad).

At this point, unless you KNOW that the correct fluid is in there, the best thing to do is to flush the system and replace with 5606.

[QUOTE=divers4ever;86675] We took the boat out to test it, and got to the inlet and started to have problems again. The steering has not gotten as tight as it was before this whole issue started. QUOTE]

My sincerest apologies, but I recommend that you not get underway again, until you have rectified this situation.

Is the system holding pressure and if so, how much, and for how long? The resovoir tank should show 2/3-3/4 full. Is it now registering a satisfactory level?
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

I feel your pain. I have been there and finally had a mechanic from Ft Lauderdale help me. His name is Franz Walker and I have great confidence in his work. His number is 954 931 2846. Good Luck,

Greg

One last idea, There is a filter in the large fitting in the bottom of the resevoir. it may be plugged. I have seen them partially restricted, but never fully plugged. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    1. The pressure in the reservoir has NOTHING to do with the steering pressure/effort at all. The pressure in the res just ensures there is fluid in the system. There has to be pressure but changing the amount does nothing as far as the steering pumps are concerned.

2. You mentioned you are turning the wheel until it stops. You are not turning the wheel sufficiently to bleed. The wheel won't actually "stop" - you just have to turn it harder as it bleeds. There are pop-off valves in the pump so just keep turning in one direction for 60-80 complete turns (slow). Then stop and go the other direction for 60-80 turns. Note that you are to continually turn the wheel in the same direction for the 60-80 turns, REGARDLESS of the pressure you feel on the wheel.

3. As mentioned, ensure there is sufficient fluid in the reservoir of the CORRECT TYPE - Either Hynautic fluid or MIL 5606. 5606 is better for two reasons, it is MUCH cheaper and it is red, making it easier to trace. NOTE that ATF can be used but it is NOT recommended because it produces much stiffer steering than Hynautic/5606. Mercon/Dexron ATF is red so seeing red fluid leaking or whatever, only tells you that it MIGHT be 5606 (GOOD!) OR ATF (bad).

At this point, unless you KNOW that the correct fluid is in there, the best thing to do is to flush the system and replace with 5606.

While the pressure does not affect steering effort, I have had systems that would not pick up at 35 psi but would at 40 psi. After purging I would lower the press to 30 psi. This is typically the case on boats with towers etc.

I know this sounds redundant but did you get the complete procedure for bleeding from the Hynautic website ? When I bled my system it took about 100 slow turns in each direction at each helm starting at the uppermost. The air pressure in the system is only to insure that pure fluid ( no air ) is supplied to the helms. If you open the bypass screws on the aluminum block the helm will cycle the air into the reservoir where it gravitates to the top. The air pressure will force the fliud out the bottom of the reservoir to take the place of the air in the system. Hynautic says that if you have a lot of air you may have to bleed the piston. ( If there are no bleed valves there you bleed at the hoses ) I could be wrong but if your wheel is coming to a hard stop while bleeding it sounds like you don't have the bypass valves open.
    Fred

When you say the wheel stops this could be because the rudder is at the stop and the wheel gets harder to turn. It will still turn although markedly harder. Check the position and condition of the piston and stops and you will get an idea where it is and what is happening.

Mine was loose so I had to tighten it anyway but I would not have looked if it were not for my "position check" of the piston while bleeding it. The PO would never have checked because he ran her until something failed then rigged it to go fishing again.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

My steering feels like the PO used Rotella 40w in it. The lower helm has the 36"(?) destroyer wheel that I can stick a finger in at the outside diameter and wheel lock to lock, but the upper has to be spun hand over hand and its stiff! Even when under way, a course correction requires some effort... forget about following sea conditions! Does this sound like improper oil, and will a change out help?
    Project # 58375.4 ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults