Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The money pit...Steering Problem

Does anyone know of any mechanics in the Pompano area who can assist us with our money pit? The PO hid a LOT of issues and we are now paying for them dearly! While moving the boat to a new dock, we lost all hydraulic steering and we have tried to bleed the system ourselves to no avail. We have followed the instruction manual to a T - and my much better half is pretty well-versed in this stuff. We are at a loss at this point, and seeing as we're from another state, we need some help in finding reputable people down here! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
    KNOT PURRFECT
    1985 - 55C Hatteras

Re: The money pit...

can't help with a source down there, but when you say you lost steering, did you still have pressure? I know my steering will work with as little as 5 lbs of pressure and about twice a year I have to take my tire pump and add pressure since I have a very slow leak that I haven't gotten around to fixing.

do you have any steering fluid discharge in your aft bilge?

sorry I can't be more help

3. The money pit...

Not from the area, am here in the NJ cold, but bleeding a system should not be an unusual hassle if you (a) have fixed the leak, (b) insured that the directions and equipment are the same brand name (say, Hynautic) (c) followed the directions.
    For Hynautic, opening the bypass valve (square block, two connecting hoses, usually near the hydraulic cylinder under the cockpit floor between the rudder shafts) is critically important to get fluid flow restored and air purged. Are you sure there were not two failures(leaks) and maybe you haven't fixed one? Unusual,I know, but stranger things have happened....

As far as I know, the reommended 15 lbs pressure is purely to keep contaminants out...and should have nothing to do with the actual operation of the system.....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

So sorry to hear of your troubles, but hang in there because ownership will be quite rewarding over time. I have had steering leaks with every Hatt that I have owned. They are not difficult to fix, but can be a real bear sometimes to find the leak(s). You often have to take paneling, etc out of the way to access all lines and connections which is the real time consuming part. Of course, check the easy to get to runs first but check your helm station(s) first for leaks where the lines connect to the helm.

You 'll want to look at and preferably feel all steering lines so that you can find the leak. Run your fingers around all connections and look for wet red liquid. Pay attention to any areas where chafing may occur. Take your time and you WILL find the leak. Then you can pay someone to fix it if you are out of time, but I would suggest finding it yourself if at all possible so that you don't pay somneone's hourly rate while they look.

GOOD LUCK!!!

when you say you lost steering, what do you mean ?

does the wheel turn endlessly or does it go stop to stop and nothing happens ?

first check the level in the reservoir, then pump it up to 15 to 20 psi. Then turn the wheel one way till it builds pressure and gets to teh stop. then trun the other way.

with hynautic, if you get low on fluid or air you don't have to bleed anything, just turn the wheel till it "catches". at least that's how mine works.

you may just have been a little low on fluid which will result in lost of steering, but as explaiend above it's easy to reset.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Just remember to turn the wheel slow.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The guys are right. It doesn't take a master mechanic to fix the steering. Most of us have been there or will be at some time. It's not something that you can rush through. The main thing to remember is don't run out of fluid when you are bleeding or you will need to start over. Also don't run low on air pressure or you will have no fluid to bleed. Air is required to maintain a constant supply of fluid past the check valves.There are ways to cheat and save time, but if you are unfamiliar with bleeding hydraulics you can easily mess up. Ask a friend to help because it's not a one person job. You will get it. Your probably are just doing something out of sequence. Unless you have lost the pumps. But its unlikely if you have 2 stations. They usually don't just quite unless you have lost fluid. Try it again.

BILL
    Last edited by Trojan; 01-27-2008 at 12:36 PM.

Re: The money pit...Steering Problem

The problem is that we broke one of the hoses, and lost about 4 quarts. When we replaced that hose, we tried to purge the system to get the air out. We took the boat out to test it, and got to the inlet and started to have problems again. The steering has not gotten as tight as it was before this whole issue started. There are no visible leaks. We added 5 quarts of fluid. Again, no leaks. The wheel turns about 15 times and then it stops. When the steering went, the wheel was just turning continuously. Could it be the valve that's bad?
    KNOT PURRFECT
    1985 - 55C Hatteras

Re: The money pit...Steering Problem

I doubt the valves are bad. Did you run the pilot back and forth? If not they can hold air. I have had a few systems that needed 35+ lbs to get the system purged then once working, I lowered it to 25lb.

Angry Re: The money pit...Steering Problem

Yes we ran the pilot back and forth for what felt like FOREVER! The bleeder valves aren't letting much of anything out - air or fluid. That's why we were thinking that it could be the valves themselves. This is very frustrating! It's definitely a Hynautic system...
    KNOT PURRFECT
    1985 - 55C Hatteras