Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Interior paneling 34c Exterior paneling

Pressing on with the 34 project. A carpenter buddy was aboard yesterday and and told me the paneling was just regular mahogany paneling you can get anywhere and the stain is the key to matching the color. What says the group of those who have been there before me?

Also, I'm replacing the aft bulkhead with plywood and am hoping to find a veneer that I can apply and then seal with west system, I'm hoping to use the old sliders and I'd like the wood bulkhead look. On my 41 I used bookmatched quartersawn teak, but it required someone with far greater than my skills to apply. What about teak plywood or something?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Interior paneling 34c Exterior paneling

My 34DC has mahogany walls which were wallpapered over by a PO and destroyed. I took the wallpaper off, sanded smooth and used a ribbon stripe mahogony veneer. It matches the wood that's still ok perfectly. Then I varnish with 6 coats of Epiphanes clear followed by 2 coats of Epiphanes rubbed effect varnish. No stain. I think it looks great and original.

I don't know what he means by "get anywhere" unless it's different where you are. There's only 2 places in Houston, an area of 4 million people to get Mahogany plywood or veneer and I have to drive an hour to get it.
    Larry
    Hatt Trick
    1966 34DC70

Shark-

Do not use paneling from Lowes or HD on your boat. It needs to be marine grade glues or you will be doing it over again. Contact Al Jernigan at World Panel Products for the right paneling and veneer. Toll free number is 866 364 0500, or email www.worldpanel.com

Quote Originally Posted by shark 1007 View Post
    Pressing on with the 34 project. A carpenter buddy was aboard yesterday and and told me the paneling was just regular mahogany paneling you can get anywhere and the stain is the key to matching the color. What says the group of those who have been there before me?

Also, I'm replacing the aft bulkhead with plywood and am hoping to find a veneer that I can apply and then seal with west system, I'm hoping to use the old sliders and I'd like the wood bulkhead look. On my 41 I used bookmatched quartersawn teak, but it required someone with far greater than my skills to apply. What about teak plywood or something?

Thanks in advance.
    I saw the 41 at the cape and almost cried. That wood work is beautiful. For my money (what little I have) I would get marine grade 1/4 mahogany plywood. The glue is different and if compared to the homo cheapo version much more durable. Also not much more money. If you need a source call my cell 407-739-5450.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Scott and others, thanks, I'll call ya.

I used to deal with World Panel, but spoke to them yesterday and the cost of two sheets marine ply and 4 sheets 1/8 mahog. veneer was about $1200.00

Roger It is Mahogany.

For the Bulkhead Dura-ply works very well and hold up great. It is flat and stays flat it originally was made to make signs out of. I have seen it hold up outside for 15 years with nothing done to it you have to find a GOOD lumber yard to find it about $80 for 3/4" sheet. I would glass it on the out side and for inside you can buy Mahogany veneer in a roll. I did my doors with it and it worked great. It just glue's on with contact cement same as for Formica it even made a 90 degree bend on the inside edge of the door. No reason for teak our years did not use teak.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Not to stir the pot, but FWIW... I am one of the knuckleheads thats used lotsa homo depo luan 1/4 underlayment.
    In '85 when I did my Roamer, thats all I could afford. The trick is to clean up the edges and seal them with 2 coats of varnish. That helps prevent moisture intrusion. USUALLY, one side is pretty nice looking, and with the standard 10 coat finish, looks pretty darn good. Use a 72 tooth blade for a nice edge. Its 23 years old and zero failures. Even the cockpit coaming stands up, but thats painted white instead of varnish.
    For the bulkheads, I went to Midwest Plywood Door, and used 3/4 10 ply exterior rated and sanded on both sides. This is / was the stuff they made better wood storm doors out of.
    Marine plywood is vastly overrated in my book. If I were building a plywood boat (YUK ! ) I would probably go with OKUME simply for the glue factor and ZERO voids internally (>1 %). ANY plywood is gonna require periodic maintenance especially the edges where it all starts!
    I just bought a sheet of burled cherry paneling from Menards for about $20 and there were NO VOIDS in it. Its used for making cabinet facing and is nice stuff. If youre really anal, you can laminate a 1/4 X 1/4 teak edge on it with epoxy... also makes it look like solid wood!
    If the judges attempt to take a sample for MGS (mass gas spectography),
    I quickly point them in the direction of the DOOR! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

We used Duraply, or a similar material on the gable of our front porch after years of checking with regular exterior fir. The Duraply is doing well after about 20 years. Just needs an occasional coat of paint. I'd sure consider it for a bulkhead.

Bob

If you have a veneer plant neer you they should have the mohagony on plywood sheat in differant thickness. Atlantic Veneer has the ribbon mohagony and it worked out great for my 34 dc.They have a web sight also.Had to blend some maple and red mohagony stain to get back to the orig from 1964.Worked out real well.Some day will post pics of the inside.Good luck
    1964,34' DC repaint and repowered,5.7 efi marine power 325hp.Cruise at 23 knt.