Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vero/Cocoa/Canaveral Marinas

Wild Bill and anybody else in the area,

Tim and I are checking out marinas in the Canaveral to Vero area for possible relocation after retirement. Would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks,
    Julie

Re: Vero/Cocoa/Canaveral Marinas

I have a slip at Cape Marina in Canaveral, B Dock. Don't think you can beat the place. I keep my 41 there now and am redoing a 34 footer to put in the slip and take the 41 back to the Bahamas as a floating condo and fishing platform.

There's a waiting list usually, but everyone watches out for each other and it's a pleasant place. 42 Hatt on one side of me, 37 next to it, 42, 45 and 46 immediately across the dock'

Love to see ya there!

Julie,

Cape Marina is a nice place...LOTS of Hatts there...but just remember, during hurricane season if a storm approaches, ALL boats are forced out of the port. Whether you haul out or go into the river, you MUST leave, or face a $10,000/day fine. A huge PITA if you ask me.

Check out Harbortown Marina in Merritt Island (about 5 miles west of Cape Marina). There are several Hatteras forum members there as well. As you head south, Melbourne Harbor Marina is a nice, quiet place, and is a great hurricane hole.

Shark,

Which boat is yours on B dock? I am out of the water there currently, and am planning on going back in on Friday morning.

Jason

I'm the Fighting Lady Yellow/White 1968 41C with the teak transom and the bookmatched teak aft bulkhead, west side of B dock. HamboneIV

I also have the 34 that sat against the fence in the yard, blue windshield cover, name removed. I just moved it to Accurate Marine to finish the refit.

I've dealt with the haulout issue and it wasn't too big a pain. Harbortown is nice, but, if you fish, the trip thru the locks grates on my last nerve.

5. Re: Vero/Cocoa/Canaveral Marinas

Julie ! You two might be leaving me !!! Bummer. But it is nice down that way. Going thru the lock IS a pain when needed to pass thru though.
    Haven't seen Tim come to work by boat lately.
    So is the "Slow Lane" being hauled for bottom paint?
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Julie,

Are you planning to live aboard, or on land? If the latter, I'd invite you to check out Tarpon Bay Yacht Club, a nice reasonably priced condo complex on Kitching Cove off the North Fork of the St. Lucie River. We have docks for vessels to 50' for $600/YEAR, a work shop, pool and tenns courts. Nice friendly bunch of people.

Bob

Julie, We kept our Yachtfish at Cape for about a year. As J's Dream says nice faculity. Biggest drawbacks are having to Evac if the port is closed due to a Hurricane and the dirt level from the cruise ships. They keep there turbines running all the time they are in port and the diesel soot gets on everything, But also has great axcess to the ocean for fishing. We moved to Harbortown, Nice place, no soot ,and a great Hurricane hole to boot. It adds about 45 minutes to travel through the lock to go fishin, but not having to evac in a hurricane IMHO makes it worth it.
    Kent Britting
    Makin' Memories 1970 58YF

If you fish a lot the cape is easier but the amenities at harbortown will help with the ladies. There is a pool and a little restaurant so when not fishing there is something relaxing to do.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxfishgyd View Post
    Julie ! You two might be leaving me !!! Bummer. But it is nice down that way. Going thru the lock IS a pain when needed to pass thru though.
    Haven't seen Tim come to work by boat lately.
    So is the "Slow Lane" being hauled for bottom paint?
    We're still a year out. We realize alot could change between now and then with the marina situation, but we're just doing some preliminary recon. Plus the weather is going to be crappy in Jax this weekend so this is a good excuse for a getaway.

Express Lane (our 17' cc) was swamped at our dock and totalled due to the damage to the Yamaha. Tim is once again driving to work like the commoners.

Slow Lane was hauled back in August for bottom paint and hulll buffing so she's spiffy.

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Julie,

Are you planning to live aboard, or on land? If the latter, I'd invite you to check out Tarpon Bay Yacht Club, a nice reasonably priced condo complex on Kitching Cove off the North Fork of the St. Lucie River. We have docks for vessels to 50' for $600/YEAR, a work shop, pool and tenns courts. Nice friendly bunch of people.

Bob
    Bob,

We are tentatively planning on living abaord, but also interested in a condo if a good deal presented itself. We still have a house to sell in Jacksonville, however, and are in no hurry.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Julie