Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Batteries

Batteries

Where is the best place to get a good price on Group 8D 8 volt batteries for my 53 ED.

Re: Batteries

Where are you located?

WHAT EVER YOU DO BUY A GOOD QUALITY BATTERY,IF YOU BUY FROM SAMS PLAN ON BUYING THEM AGAIN IN A YEAR. i HAD INTERSTATE IN MY OLD RIG AND GOT 6 YEARS OUT OF THEM.
    jw

Well, the thing to do is put Rolls/Surrettes in there (which were probably OEM - they were on our '80 53MY) and not have to worry about them for 15 years! Of course, your bank account (not to mention your back) would have to worry about it immediately!

The original Rolls/Surrette batts on our boat lasted (per the PO) for 17 years! The current batts are "cheap" replacements that he put in just before we bought the boat (his second batt replacement after the Surettes. So they are 4-5 years old or thereabouts. When they quit - Rolls are going back in! (Rolls are the US batt/Surette are Canada - same Batts.)

http://www.rollsbattery.com/
    Last edited by MikeP; 01-15-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Four months ago I replaced my 4 - 8D's with Interstate Heavy Duty batteries ... check with your local dealer ... I got a discount when buying four! I also replaced the caps with Hydrocaps and have yet to add any water.

6. Batteries

If they are for house use as well as start, get deep cycle for longer life.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

If you don't want to spend the big bucks on the Rolls, your other options for 8v batts are either golf cart batts or the 8v195's. Look in the local phone book under batteries and give a few places a call. If you have an Interstate dealer, that may be your best bet for the 8v195's.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Make sure that you don't confuse an 8D battery with an 8 volt battery. 8Ds are 12 volt and a different shape/size. I wouldn't want you to put four of them together to get a 48 volt system.

I purchased my Lee Batteries (Manasquan, NJ) locally in October 2004 and have been very happy. They even included new jumper cables with the sale.

Douglas Batteries were originally installed in my boat. I think they stopped producing auto batteries in 2004 to focus on Industrial Batteries. I'm not sure if marine batteries fall under the industrial category.

The table below gives a listing of the 8 volt batteries that Lee sells.

8-Volt Marine Comercial 8 AH 6 AH
    Part # C.C.A. M.C.A Rate Rate Weight (lb) Length (in) Width (in) Height (in)
    8V195 980 1170 170 166 90 20 7 10
    819 510 610 167 158 119 24 7 10
    821 530 635 187 177 135 27 7 10
    825 730 870 224 212 160 26 8 11
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

9. Batteries

Batteries are so heavy you'll have to get local tips on the best deal: Shipping would be too expensive. I've heard margins are low, so finding a steep discount is not likely. In NY/CT $190 or so for an Interstate or Powermaster deep cycle 8D is about as good as I have been able to do. Paying cash may avoid sales tax.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

I bought two Exide NG8D Deep Cycle batteries last fall for $238 a piece from a discount house. These are truly deep cycle batteries which is why they cost more than typical Walmart 8Ds which I replaced. Some "heavy duty" or "commercial" 8D batteries are NOT deep cycle. The Deka 8Ds are labeled "heavy duty commercial service" but are not deep cycle. If these are installed in a house bank, that could be why they seem to fail so soon.

I found that if the battery is not listed with an AmpHour Capacity, it probably is a starting battery.

But first figure out whether you need 12 volt or 8 volt!

My boat came with Douglas batteries when new. To my knowledge they are still in business in NC.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt