Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: The AMF years at Hatteras, as bad as at Harley-Davidson?

Those plastic portlights came along sometime in the 70s. For example, Ed's 1968 Hatt (and I believe Pascal's 1970 Hatt, as well) had the nice heavy bronze portlights - real quality as compared to the plastic stuff. I've got the plastic stuff and even the neighboring Sea Ray took one out while docking. Had mine been made of bronze, it would have taught the Sea Ray something about docking instead of breaking off my portlight. Instead, Ed and I got a lesson in how to replace them.

Another irritating change was in the door latches for the cabinets. It's a household door pull with the plastic ball catch on the inside. They don't hold all that well, and even in my slip, I've had to chase dishes across the salon when they came spewing out because the plastic ball catches aren't that strong. I've since had to add "baby latches" to help secure them. Ed's 1968 Hatt has the nice metal pulls that you have to press your thumb down on a button to release the metal catch inside. His don't just pop open a wake comes by. And it's not that mine are worn out, either. The way they are designed to function is that some amount of force pulling (or the dishes inside pushing) on the door lets it open (kind of like velcro!). The ones on the older Hatts don't allow the door to come open with pulling/pushing. You have to trip a latch to release the door - something a passing wake can't do.

It's stuff like that that I consider cost cutting as the years went by. The flip side of that is that my holding tank fittings, for example, were still made of bronze by 1980, though the dip tube did rot off. The irony is that I replaced all of that with plastic. LOL That dip tube isn't going to rot off again, not in my lifetime! I like plastic...but, only where I want it and that's not in my portlights or cabinet door securing hardware. Ditto on the drawer hardware. Oh well...I knew what she was when I bought and love her anyway.

The OEM non-marine sliding glass patio door...just plain stupid! (and I was being "polite"). That has got to be Hatteras's biggest brain fart of all time!
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    The OEM non-marine sliding glass patio door...just plain stupid! (and I was being "polite"). That has got to be Hatteras's biggest brain fart of all time!
    I never even knew that sliding door existed until I saw yours. I just assumed that they all had the teak double doors there. What were they thinking?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The Hatteras nameplates that Sky has came out in early 1982. The AMF and boat size on either end are stick on pieces that cover the screw holes on either end. Many owners replaced the plastic script ones because they would break easily when cleaning, ask me how I know! I believe the logo that MikeP has came out about 1986.

Angela, I have the plastic ball latches on my boat also. They can be adjusted so they are very hard to open. Just loosen 2 screws and adjust. I had to loosen a few of mine so it wasn't such a struggle to open. None of my cabinets have ever come open during wave action. Ron

Quote Originally Posted by tom5518 View Post
    The Hatteras nameplates that Sky has came out in early 1982. The AMF and boat size on either end are stick on pieces that cover the screw holes on either end. Many owners replaced the plastic script ones because they would break easily when cleaning, ask me how I know! I believe the logo that MikeP has came out about 1986.
    Me too! Another use for JB Weld to repair a plastic part that used to be metal years back.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

Quote Originally Posted by Beckytek View Post
    Angela, I have the plastic ball latches on my boat also. They can be adjusted so they are very hard to open. Just loosen 2 screws and adjust. I had to loosen a few of mine so it wasn't such a struggle to open. None of my cabinets have ever come open during wave action. Ron
    I have one cabinet, the electrical panel of all things, that is adjusted like that. I have to use my foot to close it, and when I pull to open it, the door bends and flexes which I don't like to do to them. I just don't think those plastic ball catches are the right choice for a boat - you either adjust the friction to hold them so hard that the door and hinges flex, or your stuff scatters across the floor. Just my opinion...but I'm sure the company saved a dime by using those instead of higher quality stuff we see in the older Hatts.

I don't have the usual, plastic boat-ware on this boat. All of the plates, bowls, chargers are either heavy poured glass or china. That probably helps to contribute to the doors flying open as the dishes inside shift and push the cabinet doors open when there is a passing wake. Still, if I had the ones Hatteras used to use, that would not happen. One day, I hope to round up enough of the original Hatteras catches, I'm talkin' about the early years stuff, and replace my cabinet catches with the good stuff!
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

Ang,

What are the "original Hatteras Catches" to which you refer? Is there a Sams part number for them (or a pic somewhere)? I agree that the plastic catches seem decidedly "cheap" for a Hatt - same ones were on our Mainship 36DC.

Mine are opposed steel spring-loaded ball bearings,that a brass cam is forced between.OK....but not good in a seaway.We always run lightweight bungee cords between the cubboard knobs when traveling. Just part of the routine. Tony

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Ang,

What are the "original Hatteras Catches" to which you refer? Is there a Sams part number for them (or a pic somewhere)? I agree that the plastic catches seem decidedly "cheap" for a Hatt - same ones were on our Mainship 36DC.
    It's this: http://www.samsmarine.com/PartSearch...ItemNmbr=84705

I have to admit that my Cruiser, Inc. express had better cabinet hardware than does my Hatt. The drawers were on metal guides with wheels - just lift up on the drawer and the drawers slide out like melted butter. Now, that boat wasn't made for the blue waters, and could just see where in a real sea that the drawers could easily jar themselves into a position to open, so it's probably a good thing that Hatt didn't use hardware on the drawers that would let them glide like that unless they used one of those nice trigger latches.

Heck, now that I think about it....I remember that DID happen in that boat once! One morning, I awoke to a tornado in the area, and the lake waves were the biggest I had ever seen on the lake. I drove the boat home and with God's helping hand, I got her backed into the slip. Opened the door to the cabin and saw that the cabinets were empty; floor was a mess! I remember the death grip I had on the wheel trying to stay in the driver's seat. Had I had a Hatt that day, that ride would have been fun.
    Last edited by Angela; 01-12-2008 at 01:47 PM.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

Let me offer a somewhat different view on port holes. I owned a 1968 44 Tri Cabin with bronze port holes. Paint readily bubbled due to salt intrusion, the actual clear panel is safety glass that had gaskets on both sides that were prone to dry up from the UV and leak, when you hit one it bent the frame, replacement prices were impressive, and they were just ugly from the inside to my eye. Add to that the chrome exterior trim ring and they looked like a very old design and again to my eye detracted from the boat. My 75 Conv and my current 76 LRC have the Fuller port holes and I love the design, simple maintenance, low replacement price, plastic that does not interact with the salt, and the more flush fit to the hull. A great improvement in my opinion, plastic port holes for a plastic hull.

As for the electrical systems, the '68 Rockwell system was a was among the worst I have ever seen on a boat. Hatteras should bow their head in shame for selling that electrical system. The '75 AMF system was a vast improvement, and the '76 system on our LRC is outstanding. The quality of the components used in the '76 system is beyond anything you would expect to find on a pleasure boat. I just hope I do not have any component failures, because the cost of these components will definitely make diesel prices look reasonable, if they are even available.

I do agree the hull thickness of the '68 was greater than the later years, but just how thick and how much additional weight do you need?

If I were to characterize the Rockwell to AMF transition, I would describe it as going from brute force building to engineering based construction.

Sounds like some other changes I have not seen were not as positive.

Pete