Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Life Expectancy of MTU 16V2000?

Have a friend looking at a boat with 16V2000īs 1800hp. What is the life expectancy of these engines? What would a rebuild run?? Thanks!
    "Mambeaux"
    1985 43MY

Re: Life Expectancy of MTU 16V2000?

WHOA! Those are some big engines. I doubt that any of our old Hatteras boats have anything comparable to that for power, except maybe a few of the late model S/F. With that kind of HP, I can't imagine them lasting more than 2,000hrs with good care.

The estimate we were provided for commercial or government use of those MTUs was for 10000 hours before overhaul, with proper maintenance. The estimated overhaul cost is 40% of original cost of engine.

They are so expensive to repair that most owners unload the boats when they can no longer buy extended warranties, to pay for frequent catastrophic failures. BTW/I have never personally seen an MTU or MAN in a pleasure boat run for 10,000 hours without a major meltdown. It was just last year leaving Hilton Head,running south with a new 58' Viking that had MANS,I could hear one engine detonate as the captain put her up on step,quickly passing me. I called the guy on the VHF and told him I thought he might have a problem,he replied that it always did that when cold in the morning. By the time we were about to leave the inlet to the ocean the black smoke started billowing and he went back to Harbortown. Tony

If MAN's are such junk, why are they still around?

Buster, what does detonation in a diesel sound like?

6. Re: Life Expectancy of MTU 16V2000?

Kaboom!
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Quote Originally Posted by BUSTER View Post
    They are so expensive to repair that most owners unload the boats when they can no longer buy extended warranties, to pay for frequent catastrophic failures. BTW/I have never personally seen an MTU or MAN in a pleasure boat run for 10,000 hours without a major meltdown. It was just last year leaving Hilton Head,running south with a new 58' Viking that had MANS,I could hear one engine detonate as the captain put her up on step,quickly passing me. I called the guy on the VHF and told him I thought he might have a problem,he replied that it always did that when cold in the morning. By the time we were about to leave the inlet to the ocean the black smoke started billowing and he went back to Harbortown. Tony
    That is why the call them "MANgrenades".
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

There is a thread on boatdiesel.com where someone had his MAN melt a piston on the sea trial after a 1000 hr service. Seems that the pistons are cooled by a stream of oil directed at the underside of the piston. The servicing mechanic was not careful enough when changing filters and a piece of dirt clogged the oil nozzle on one piston. I don't recall who paid for the damage. I believe that thread died as the lawyers got involved.

There is also one thread about MTU's that mentions that MTU's had a poor marinerization. There was a reference to lots of warrentee work being done. I think that the primary problem was the intercooler/aftercooler. I'd check but my boatdiesel subscription ended earlier this week!

Mark